Re: Why grammar is so complex a subject

  • Wesley Parish
    Message 1 of 61 , Jan 2, 2006
      On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:50, Cian Ross wrote:
      > On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 11:35, Gary Shannon wrote:
      > > Counter argument: For emerging proto-humans in a
      > > rudamentary hunter-gatherer society there are a very
      > > limited number of things that need to be discussed,
      > > and the ways of putting those things together into a
      > > single utterance are mathematically very limited. "Me
      > > goat see", "Goat me see", "Me see goat", "Goat see
      > > me.", "See goat me.", "See me goat." Which, for
      > > reasons of survival, would have to be differentiated
      > > in meaning from "Tiger see me.", "See tiger me.", etc.
      >
      > I'm not quite comfortable with at least one assumption you seem to be
      > making here. Why would language even at a very early stage necessarily
      > be limited to matters of immediate physical survival? Language doesn't
      > seem to be necessary for survival at all: AFAIK humans are the only
      > species that use syntactic language as such and while we're very
      > successful we're not alone in being successful. I have to wonder if
      > language more likely started from interpersonal interactions and then
      > later turned "outwards" to deal with other matters?

      Most current palaeoanthropology I've read recently regards human language as a
      form of grooming. A form that could groom over a distance, furthermore.

      It was only after the "conceptual breakthrough" that simultaneously led to the
      development of art, that language-as-grooming, language-as-warning, and
      language-as-training, and a heap of other functions of homo sapiens language
      coalesced.

      Wesley Parish

      > Regards,
      > Cian Ross
      > cian@...
      > http://crlh.tzo.org/~cian/conlang/

      -----
      Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?
    • veritosproject@gmail.com
      Message 61 of 61 , Jan 5, 2006
        I'm working on the International Conlang Creation Month (
        http://incocremo.wordpress.com/ ), which was previously covered here
        on the list.

        I'm going isolated on this one (yes, if you've seen my posts, this is
        a shock.) because it's easier and I'm lazy :). If you want to see my
        progress so far, go to http://eosp.wordpress.com/ .

        Enjoy!