Re: A book report...

  • Jefferson Wilson
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
      Paul Bennett wrote:

      > a 1958 first edition of _The Decipherment Of Linear B_ by
      > John Chadwick. It's a slimish paperback, the size of any normal
      > paperback novel, more or less, with some light creasing on the spine, a
      > library code or some other catalog code on a small sticker on the spine
      > (the code is "489", does that mean anything to anyone?)

      489 is the Dewey Decimal Code for "Other Hellenic languages"

      And since this _is_ conlang, here's the entire 400's (Language):

      400 Language
      401 Philosophy & theory
      402 Miscellany
      403 Dictionaries & encyclopedias
      404 Special topics
      405 Serial publications
      406 Organizations & management
      407 Education, research, related topics
      408 With respect to kinds of persons
      409 Geographical & persons treatment
      410 Linguistics
      411 Writing systems
      412 Etymology
      413 Dictionaries
      414 Phonology
      415 Structural systems (Grammar)
      416 Not assigned or no longer used
      417 Dialectology & historical linguistics
      418 Standard usage Applied linguistics
      419 Verbal language not spoken or written
      420 English & Old English
      421 English writing system & phonology
      422 English etymology
      423 English dictionaries
      424 Not assigned or no longer used
      425 English grammar
      426 Not assigned or no longer used
      427 English language variations
      428 Standard English usage
      429 Old English (Anglo-Saxon)
      430 Germanic languages German
      431 German writing system & phonology
      432 German etymology
      433 German dictionaries
      434 Not assigned or no longer used
      435 German grammar
      436 Not assigned or no longer used
      437 German language variations
      438 Standard German usage
      439 Other Germanic languages
      440 Romance languages French
      441 French writing system & phonology
      442 French etymology
      443 French dictionaries
      444 Not assigned or no longer used
      445 French grammar
      446 Not assigned or no longer used
      447 French language variations
      448 Standard French usage
      449 Provencal & Catalan
      450 Italian, Romanian, Rhaeto-Romantic
      451 Italian writing system & phonology
      452 Italian etymology
      453 Italian dictionaries
      454 Not assigned or no longer used
      455 Italian grammar
      456 Not assigned or no longer used
      457 Italian language variations
      458 Standard Italian usage
      459 Romanian & Rhaeto-Romanic
      460 Spanish & Portugese languages
      461 Spanish writing system & phonology
      462 Spanish etymology
      463 Spanish dictionaries
      464 Not assigned or no longer used
      465 Spanish grammar
      466 Not assigned or no longer used
      467 Spanish language variations
      468 Standard Spanish usage
      469 Portugese
      470 Italic Latin
      471 Classical Latin writing & phonology
      472 Classical Latin etymology & phonology
      473 Classical Latin dictionaries
      474 Not assigned or no longer used
      475 Classical Latin grammar
      476 Not assigned or no longer used
      477 Old, Postclassical, Vulgar Latin
      478 Classical Latin usage
      479 Other Italic languages
      480 Hellenic languages Classical Greek
      481 Classical Greek writing & phonology
      482 Classical Greek etymology
      483 Classical Greek dictionaries
      484 Not assigned or no longer used
      485 Classical Greek grammar
      486 Not assigned or no longer used
      487 Preclassical & postclassical Greek
      488 Classical Greek usage
      489 Other Hellenic languages
      490 Other languages
      491 East Indo-European & Celtic languages
      492 Afro-Asiatic languages Semitic
      493 Non-Semitic Afro-Asiatic languages
      494 Ural-Altaic, Paleosiberian, Dravidian
      495 Languages of East & Southeast Asia
      496 African languages
      497 North American native languages
      498 South American native languages
      499 Miscellaneous languages

      (Easy to tell the system was developed in the early 1800's by a
      pan-European isn't it?)

      --
      Jefferson
      http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/myths/
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
        Jefferson Wilson wrote:

        > And since this _is_ conlang, here's the entire 400's (Language):

        And since I'm actually more of Library of Congress person, here's
        the Library of Congress codes:

        CLASS P - LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE

        P Philology. Linguistics
        PA Greek language and literature. Latin language and literature
        PB Modern languages. Celtic languages
        PC Romanic languages
        PD Germanic languages. Scandinavian languages
        PE English language
        PF West Germanic languages
        PG Slavic languages. Baltic languages. Albanian language
        PH Uralic languages. Basque language
        PJ Oriental languages and literatures
        PK Indo-Iranian languages and literatures
        PL Languages and literatures of Eastern Asia, Africa, Oceania
        PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages
        PN Literature (General)
        PQ French literature - Italian literature - Spanish
        literature - Portuguese literature
        PR English literature
        PS American literature
        PT German literature - Dutch literature - Flemish literature
        since 1830 -Afrikaans literature - Scandinavian literature - Old
        Norse literature: Old Icelandic and Old Norwegian - Modern
        Icelandic literature - Faroese literature - Danish literature -
        Norwegian literature - Swedish literature
        PZ Fiction and juvenile belles lettres

        And, since it's of special interest to this list:

        PM8001-8995 Artificial languages--Universal languages
        PM8201-8298 Esperanto
        PM8999 Picture languages
        PM9001-9021 Secret languages

        --
        Jefferson
        http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/myths/
      • Aaron Morse
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
          I didn't receive any linguistics books directly, but I was given a gift certificate with which I shall likely be purchasing "Describing Morphosyntax" and probably a Gaelic book.

          Paul Bennett <paul-bennett@...> wrote:
          I forgot to brag about my Christmas haul. There was not much that was
          relevant to the group, but possibly of interest might be this gift from my
          parents: a 1958 first edition of _The Decipherment Of Linear B_ by John
          Chadwick. It's a slimish paperback, the size of any normal paperback
          novel, more or less, with some light creasing on the spine, a library code
          or some other catalog code on a small sticker on the spine (the code is
          "489", does that mean anything to anyone?), and some quite light wear on
          the top of the front cover. Inside, the pages are tanned, bu! t not
          horrifically so, considering it's a nearly 50 year old book. It smells
          wonderful -- that really good "old book" smell that draws you into the
          book and makes you feel immersed in the words. The words themselves are
          engaging and lively, and read easily as well as any detective novel (to
          which this is close kin, in a way). Original sale price: 95c. Worth now? I
          dunno, but to me it has instantly become a treasure. I plan to read it
          carefully but enthusiastically, from cover to cover.

          Were there any other linguistics books among our collective Holiday loot?

          Paul

          Yahoo! Shopping
        • Larry Sulky
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
            On 1/1/06, Aaron Morse <artlangs@...> wrote:
            > I didn't receive any linguistics books directly, but I was given a gift
            > certificate with which I shall likely be purchasing "Describing
            > Morphosyntax" and probably a Gaelic book.
            >
            > Paul Bennett <paul-bennett@...> wrote:
            ---SNIP---
            > Were there any other linguistics books among our collective Holiday loot?
            >
            > Paul

            "Languages of Asia and the Pacific: A Travellers' Phrasebook", by
            Charles Hamblin, 1984. My wife found a copy via the Amazon used book
            service. Hardbound and in very good shape. Not particularly
            prestigious, but very handy.
            ---larry
          • caeruleancentaur
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
              --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Paul Bennett <paul-bennett@E...> wrote:

              >Were there any other linguistics books among our collective Holiday
              >loot?

              I received a gift certificate for Barnes & Noble. A preliminary
              investigation tells me I'll need to take more time to find the right
              book.

              Charlie
              http://wiki.frath.net/user:caeruleancentaur
            • Gary Shannon
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                From my nephew the Doctor: _Constructing a Language_
                by Michael Tomasello. Harvard University Press ISBN
                0674017641. 388 pages. And it's subtitled: "A
                Usage-Based Theory of Language Acquistition." I
                haven't started reading it yet, but it looks very
                interesting.

                --gary

                --- Paul Bennett <paul-bennett@...> wrote:

                > I forgot to brag about my Christmas haul. There was
                > not much that was
                > relevant to the group, but possibly of interest
                > might be this gift from my
                > parents: a 1958 first edition of _The Decipherment
                > Of Linear B_ by John
                > Chadwick.
                <snip>
              • Andreas Johansson
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                  Quoting Aaron Morse <artlangs@...>:

                  > Were there any other linguistics books among our collective Holiday loot?

                  I got a Swedish-Latin-Swedish dictionary.

                  Andreas
                • Paul Bennett
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 05:00:30 -0500, Jefferson Wilson
                    <jeffwilson63@...> wrote:

                    > PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages

                    That's a word with which I ought to be familiar, but I'm not. My brain
                    keeps insisting it means either "having many trees" or "above the trees",
                    neither of which make much sense. In typing this, though, it has become
                    apparent that it might mean "from beyond the north".

                    Am I even remotely in the right territory?

                    Paul
                  • Andreas Johansson
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                      Quoting Paul Bennett <paul-bennett@...>:

                      > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 05:00:30 -0500, Jefferson Wilson
                      > <jeffwilson63@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages
                      >
                      > That's a word with which I ought to be familiar, but I'm not. My brain
                      > keeps insisting it means either "having many trees" or "above the trees",
                      > neither of which make much sense. In typing this, though, it has become
                      > apparent that it might mean "from beyond the north".
                      >
                      > Am I even remotely in the right territory?

                      The Hyperboreans, according to ancient geographers, were a people living in the
                      far north, so your last interpretation is probably correct.

                      Andreas
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                        Paul Bennett wrote: (with snips)
                        > I forgot to brag about my Christmas haul. a 1958 first edition of _The
                        > Decipherment Of Linear B_ by John
                        > Chadwick. It's a slimish paperback,

                        _slimmish_ I suspect. _Slimish_ books are what I found in my damp
                        basement...
                        My presents to myself this year were: Collected Poems of James Merrill, and
                        a bilingual Residencia en la tierra (all 3 in one vol.) by Pablo Neruda.

                        > Inside, the pages are tanned, but not
                        > horrifically so, considering it's a nearly 50 year old book. It smells
                        > wonderful -- that really good "old book" smell that draws you into the
                        > book and makes you feel immersed in the words. Original sale price: 95c.

                        Ho ho, I remember this from the first time 'round. It was a stunning report
                        at the time. I'm surprised a PB has held up so well. Obviously it was
                        properly stored.

                        I have a lot of 50-yr old Spanish-lang. PBs from the Colección Austral
                        (Argentina), very cheap but well-produced editions-- nary a typo ever. They
                        tended to turn yellow and brittle after a mere 10 years. The bindings
                        usually gave out after one reading.
                      • Mark J. Reed
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                          I had a nice linguistic Xmas haul as well - thank you, Amazon.com wish
                          lists. :) I got Mallory's _In Search of the Indo-Europeans: Language,
                          Archaeology, and Myth_, Boyd-Bowman's _From Latin to Romance in Sound
                          Charts_, and Keenan's _Breaking out of Beginner's Spanish_ (more of a
                          personal development thing). Not original editions or autographed or
                          even hardback, just books I wanted to read and add to my library....
                        • caeruleancentaur
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                            --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Reed" <markjreed@M...> wrote:

                            >I had a nice linguistic Xmas haul as well - thank you, Amazon.com wish
                            >lists. :) I got Mallory's _In Search of the Indo-Europeans: Language,
                            >Archaeology, and Myth_,...

                            I'm selling a number of my books on Amazon. I sold the Mallory book
                            several months ago. I hope it's not too self-serving to mention that
                            I do have one more language book still unsold. It is Roy Andrew
                            Miller's "Japanese and the Other Altaic Languages." If anyone is
                            interested in it, please let me know.

                            The other books are mainly cook books and books on world religions.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 1, 2006
                              --- caeruleancentaur <caeruleancentaur@...>
                              wrote:

                              > --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Reed"
                              > <markjreed@M...> wrote:
                              <snip>
                              > I'm selling a number of my books on Amazon. I sold
                              > the Mallory book
                              > several months ago. I hope it's not too
                              > self-serving to mention that
                              > I do have one more language book still unsold. It
                              > is Roy Andrew
                              > Miller's "Japanese and the Other Altaic Languages."
                              > If anyone is
                              > interested in it, please let me know.

                              Interesting coincidence. Since retiring from computer
                              programming, I support myself selling books on Amazon.
                              Other interesting coincidnece: I sold a copy of "The
                              Decipherment of Linear B" about an hour ago!

                              --gary
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                                Andreas Johansson wrote:
                                > Quoting Paul Bennett <paul-bennett@...>:
                                >

                                >>On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 05:00:30 -0500, Jefferson Wilson
                                >><jeffwilson63@...> wrote:
                                >>

                                >>> PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages
                                >>
                                >>That's a word with which I ought to be familiar, but I'm not. My brain
                                >>keeps insisting it means either "having many trees" or "above the trees",
                                >>neither of which make much sense. In typing this, though, it has become
                                >>apparent that it might mean "from beyond the north".
                                >>
                                >>Am I even remotely in the right territory?
                                >

                                > The Hyperboreans, according to ancient geographers, were a people living in the
                                > far north, so your last interpretation is probably correct.

                                Certainly correct.

                                Hyperboreoi (m. pl.) "a people supposed to live in the extreme north".
                                The noun is found in the works of Homer and of other ancient Greek
                                writers. It is derived thus:
                                hyper "above, beyond" + bore- (north, north wind)* + -oi (MASC.PL)

                                *the noun for 'north' and 'north wind' was _boreas_ (masc.)

                                In modern times the adjective 'Hyperborean' has been applied to a group
                                of languages spoken in northeastern Siberia.

                                ray@...
                                MAKE POVERTY HISTORY
                              • Isaac Penzev
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                                  R A Brown wrote:

                                  > In modern times the adjective 'Hyperborean' has been applied to a group
                                  > of languages spoken in northeastern Siberia.

                                  Hmm. Aren't they more often called 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'?

                                  -- Yitzik
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                                    Isaac Penzev wrote:
                                    > R A Brown wrote:
                                    >

                                    >>In modern times the adjective 'Hyperborean' has been applied to a group
                                    >>of languages spoken in northeastern Siberia.
                                    >

                                    > Hmm. Aren't they more often called 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'?

                                    I believe so - my source was Mario Pei "The World's Chief Languages",
                                    1949. But the Library of Congress apparently still uses the older term:
                                    PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages

                                    In the list quoted yesterday by Jefferson Wilson there is no mention of
                                    'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'

                                    A quick Google on 'hyperborean' will soon show many different latter-day
                                    uses; I guess the terms 'Pal(a)eosiberian' and 'Pal(a)eoasian' have been
                                    adopted to avoid confusion with some of these other uses.

                                    ray@...
                                    MAKE POVERTY HISTORY
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 2, 2006
                                      Hallo!

                                      Ray Brown wrote:

                                      > Isaac Penzev wrote:
                                      > > R A Brown wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > >>In modern times the adjective 'Hyperborean' has been applied to a group
                                      > >>of languages spoken in northeastern Siberia.
                                      > >

                                      > > Hmm. Aren't they more often called 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'?
                                      >
                                      > I believe so - my source was Mario Pei "The World's Chief Languages",
                                      > 1949. But the Library of Congress apparently still uses the older term:
                                      > PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages
                                      >
                                      > In the list quoted yesterday by Jefferson Wilson there is no mention of
                                      > 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'
                                      >
                                      > A quick Google on 'hyperborean' will soon show many different latter-day
                                      > uses; I guess the terms 'Pal(a)eosiberian' and 'Pal(a)eoasian' have been
                                      > adopted to avoid confusion with some of these other uses.

                                      Yep. Losts of crackpots using this term for all sorts of figments
                                      of their imagination, including some very unpalatable ones.

                                      And northeastern Siberia probably doesn't have the least to do
                                      with the Hyperborea of the ancients at all (where's the friendly
                                      temperate climate and all that?); IMHO, "Hyperborea" refers to
                                      pre-Celtic Britain. Which also means that the term "Hyperborean"
                                      applies better to - Albic ;-) But I will stick to the name "Albic":
                                      it is shorter, it is unambiguous, it is better.

                                      Greetings,

                                      Jörg.
                                    • Adam Walker
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                                        wrote:

                                        > --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Reed"
                                        > <markjreed@M...> wrote:
                                        Roy Andrew
                                        > Miller's "Japanese and the Other Altaic Languages."
                                        > If anyone is
                                        > interested in it, please let me know.

                                        I have and read that one. It was interesting.

                                        Adam

                                        Jin xividjilud djal suñu ed falud ul Jozevu pomu instanchid ul andjelu djul Dominu sivi, ed idavi achibid jun al su sposa. Ed nun aved cuñuxud ad sivi ancha nadud jan ad ul sua huiju primodjindu ed cuamad il su numi ul Jezu.

                                        Machu 1:24-25
                                      • Andreas Johansson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 3, 2006
                                          Quoting Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>:

                                          > Hallo!
                                          >
                                          > Ray Brown wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Isaac Penzev wrote:

                                          > > > Hmm. Aren't they more often called 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'?
                                          > >
                                          > > I believe so - my source was Mario Pei "The World's Chief Languages",
                                          > > 1949. But the Library of Congress apparently still uses the older term:
                                          > > PM Hyperborean, Indian, and artificial languages
                                          > >
                                          > > In the list quoted yesterday by Jefferson Wilson there is no mention of
                                          > > 'Paleosiberian' or 'Paleoasian'
                                          > >
                                          > > A quick Google on 'hyperborean' will soon show many different latter-day
                                          > > uses; I guess the terms 'Pal(a)eosiberian' and 'Pal(a)eoasian' have been
                                          > > adopted to avoid confusion with some of these other uses.
                                          >
                                          > Yep. Losts of crackpots using this term for all sorts of figments
                                          > of their imagination, including some very unpalatable ones.
                                          >
                                          > And northeastern Siberia probably doesn't have the least to do
                                          > with the Hyperborea of the ancients at all (where's the friendly
                                          > temperate climate and all that?); IMHO, "Hyperborea" refers to
                                          > pre-Celtic Britain. Which also means that the term "Hyperborean"
                                          > applies better to - Albic ;-) But I will stick to the name "Albic":
                                          > it is shorter, it is unambiguous, it is better.

                                          The Swedish 17th C historian Olof Rudbeck thought it refered to Scandinavia, and
                                          claimed the word was derived from Scandinavian _yverboren_ "highborn". He
                                          should've taken more Greek classes, but you'll still occasionally hear
                                          _yverboren_ as joking characterization of overly patriotic folks.

                                          Andreas