Re: Br'ga (was: CHAT: Thanksgiving)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      Paul Bennett wrote:
      > >> The Br'ga are likely to mostly eat fish, turtles, lizards, birds and
      > >> fruit, but I have no names for any of them yet. Maybe horse, too, and
      > >> whatever they trade Poxtuga (Europeans) for.
      > > <SNIP>

      I guess I need to dig
      > around the Internet for names of explorers, and some good and likely
      > Portuguese naming words for the island. I might just go with Ilha de
      > Brugao, but I might come up with some other trait likely to have inspired
      > a name.

      Possible candidate: bruxa [bruSa] 'witch' (Span. bruja [bruxa]), where the
      x::j suggests an older cluster, but I don't know the source of the word. VL
      *brutica ??? IIRC, isn't Port. -ão also the augmentative ending, comparable
      to Span. -ón(a) ?? Could the Br'gans have been noted for their black arts
      :-)))?
    • João Ricardo de Mendonça
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
        On 10/3/05, Roger Mills <rfmilly@...> wrote:
        <SNIP>
        > IIRC, isn't Port. -ão also the augmentative ending, comparable
        > to Span. -ón(a) ??
        <SNIP>

        It is used with this function, yes, but it may appear in other words
        as well without that meaning. Many places have their names ending in
        -ão. Ex: Japão, Ceilão, Afeganistão, Brunão etc.

        João Ricardo de Mendonça