Re: German question

    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hallo!

      Andreas Johansson wrote:

      > Quoting Roger Mills <rfmilly@...>:
      >
      > > > [Peenemünde]
      > > >
      > > The real oddity is that double -ee-, no? Is peen(e-) a Baltic word, perhaps?
      > > or some no-longer-used German spelling?
      >
      > Double vowels aren't very common in German spelling, but it's not hard to find
      > examples: _See_, _Saal_, _Moor_, _Moos_, _leer_.
      >
      > Examples with high vowels don't seem to be found (*_ii_ would be writen _ie_, I
      > suppose,

      Yes.

      > but I can see no particular reason *_uu_ shouldn't occur).

      I cannot recall any German word with |uu|, either.

      > Note that doubled umlauted vowels are not accepted; _Moos_, _Saal_ pluralize as
      > _Möse_, _Säle_.

      _Säle_, yes, but the plural of _Moos_ is _Moose_. (_Möse_ is a rude
      word for a particular body opening, BTW.) But |ää|, |öö| and |üü| are
      indeed forbidden. We leave that to the Finns and Estonians ;-)

      Greetings,

      Jörg.
    • Carsten Becker
      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 1, 2005
        Meh, "[1]" in my previous msg. was supposed to be
        http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=12361

        Yours,
        Carsten