Re: Online Language Identifier

  • Andrew Gerber
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 1, 2005
      I tried six sentences of Çomyopregi, and four of Renqila. Çomyopregi came out as Portuguese (twice), Albanian, Catalan, Lithuanian, and Turkish (not too radical, since it's supposed to be European-ish) and Renqila was Latvian, Turkish, Spanish, and Lithuanian (none of which influenced it).

      -Damátir Ando

      On 8/30/05, David J. Peterson <dedalvs@...> wrote:
      Radiohead will be pleased to know that Xerox is at it again!  For
      those of you who don't check Langmaker.com every two hours,
      a resource was just posted about an online language identifier.
      It can be found here:

      http://www.xrce.xerox.com/competencies/content-analysis/tools/guesser-
      ISO-8859-1.en.html

      Basically it identifies the language that you put into the text
      field (a sentence of five words or more).  It was reviewed on the
      blog Tenser Said the Tensor.  The author put in Klingon, Quenya
      and Sindarin.  Klingon apparently was fairly consistently identified
      as Maltese.  I tried a couple of mine.  The results:

      -Zhyler: Turkish.  (Right on!  That's what it's modeled after.  The
      y with a diaresis and the presence of the letter "x" didn't seem to
      phase it at all.)

      -Kamakawi: Estonian.  (WHOA!!!  Way off!  This languages is
      almost embarrassingly reminiscent of Hawaiian.  Now I'm
      interested in finding out what Estonian is like, though...)

      -Epiq: Latvian.  (Very interesting.  This is the language that
      was inspired by Inuit.)

      -Kelenala: Malay.  (Not bad, actually.)

      -Njaama: Hungarian.  (Way, way off.)

      -Sheli: Also Turkish.  (That one throws me for a loop.)

      Anyway, try it out!  It's great fun!  Plus, this might help out the
      "What language is this song/text in?" threads.  I hear for real
      languages it's pretty accurate.

      (Oh, a side-note: It has a fixed number of languages [46] it's guessing
      from, and it lists them for you.  This list includes Esperanto, but
      does not include any Austronesian language, I think...  [What is
      Malay?]  That's probably why a language that looks like Hawaiian
      looked so alien to it.)

      -David

      -Jim Morrison

      http://dedalvs.free.fr/

      --
      http://www.geocities.com/rodionraskolnikov2000/
    • Carsten Becker
      Message 57 of 57 , Oct 1, 2005
        Meh, "[1]" in my previous msg. was supposed to be
        http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=12361

        Yours,
        Carsten