Re: ZBB: Another "What language is this song in" thread.

  • Steg Belsky
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 31 7:42 PM
      On Jul 31, 2005, at 10:14 PM, Henrik Theiling wrote:
      > Hi!
      > Ooohoo, thanks, Steg, that's very great! :-)

      No problema!
      Oh and i'm not the only crazy one.
      My friend who i took Intro to Linguistics with in college agreed that
      the first line sounds like "I don't know why you are sorry"!

      > Steg Belsky <draqonfayir@...> writes:
      >> Here's my attempt at transliteration:
      >> (i don't know Farsi/Persian, but i can read the Arabic alphabet)
      >>
      >> ala ya ayhalsaqy adrkasan wnawlha
      >> kh 3Sq Asan nmwd awl wly aftad mSklha
      >> yh bwy tafh ay kaxr s'bazan t'rh bgSayd
      >> ztab j3d mSkynS ch xwn aftad dr dlha

      > Haha! So e.g. Tim heard the ending -t correctly where was wrong and
      > heard -nt and I heard -h- correctly where Tim heard -w-. Weird. :-)
      > The {a} seems to be [O] sometimes, or are we all so wrong about that
      > and it is unrounded [A]?

      It's definitely [O] sometimes.

      -Stephen (Steg)
      "quit it with the damn schwa already! i hate phonetics!"
      - my friend e
      (back when we took intro to linguistics together)
    • Benct Philip Jonsson
      Message 38 of 38 , Aug 1, 2005
        Henrik Theiling skrev:

        >>It's definitely [O] sometimes.
        >

        > Probably the Arabic script doesn't offer enough vowel signs for
        > Persian.
        >
        > **Henrik

        Basically quantitative vowel distinctions have been replaced by
        qualitative distinctions in Persian:

        |a| is /&/
        |i| is /e/
        |u| is /o/