Carthangyz / Re: Alborgian

  • Ingmar Roerdinkholder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5 2:15 PM
      Yeah, I know about that, remember last year we mailed about Slavo-
      Turcologics, I sent you some information about my own variety "Carthangyz",
      a Turkic language spoken by Orthodox Christians on the Black Sea island
      Carthangyzia, related to Crimean Osman, Crimean Tartar and Gauguz.
      I'm curious wether you used some of it for your Kuman Tyli.

      The name Carthangyz is - of course - a Greek version of old Turkic *kara
      <black> + *tängiz <sea>, cf modern Turkish <Kara Deniz> = Black Sea.

      Carthangyz has two main dialects: the major, Northern one around the
      capital, and the Southern one which is much closer to Turkish. Carthangyz
      orthography is designed in a way that both pronunciations are possible.
      E.g. ë = North [jE], South [e]; ö = N [jO], South [2]; ü = N [ju], S [y],
      j = N [Z], S [j] etc. Northern Carthangyz phonology is influenced a lot by
      Slavonic languages like Russian, Ukrainian, and Bulgarian, and gave up
      vowel harmony altogether, unlike Southern pronunciaton. Vowel harmony is
      still reflected in the orthography though.

      Examples of Carthangyz:

      orth. North South Turkish
      1 bir [bjir] [bir] bir [bir]
      2 ëki ["jEki] ["eki] iki [iki]
      3 üc [jutS] [ytS] üç [ytS]
      4 dört [djOrt] [d2rt] dört [d2rt]
      5 bex [bES] [bES] bes, [bES]
      6 altï ["alti] ["alt@] altI [alt@]
      7 jedi ["ZEdi] ["jEdi] yedi [jEdi]
      8 sekiz [sE"kis] [sE"kiz] sekiz [sEkiz]
      9 dokïz [dO"kis] [dO"k@z] dokuz [dOkuz]
      10 on [On] [On] on [On]
      20 järmi ["zarmi] ["jErmi] yirmi [jirmi]
      40 kÿrk [k@rk] [k@rk] kIrk [k@rk]
      60 alpmïx[alp"miS] [alp"m@S]altmIs, [altm@S]
      80 seksän[sek"san] [sEk"sEn]seksen [sEksEn]
      100 jüz [Zus] [jyz] yüz [jyz]
      1000 bing [bjiNk] [biN] bin [bin]

      to be new: North South Turkish
      jänyimin ["Zanjimin] ["jEnjimin] yeniyim I am new
      jänyisin ["Zanjisin] ["jEnjisin] yenisin you (sing) are new
      jänyidir ["Zanjidir] ["jEnjidir] yenidir he/she is new
      jänyimiz ["Zanjimis] ["jEnjimiz] yeniyiz we are new
      jänyisinyiz ["Zanjisi~s] ["jEnjisinjiz] yenisiniz you (pl) are new
      jänyidär ["Zanjidar] ["jEnjidEr] yenidirler they are new

      ben;menim/mën;mang'a;meni;mendä;mendän-I;me(ge);me(da);me(ac);me(lo);me(ab)
      sen; senin/sën; sang'a; seni; sendä; sendän - you; gen; dat; acc; loc; abl
      ol; anïn/ayn; ang'a; anï; anda; andan - he/she/it
      biz; bizim/bin; bizyä; bizi; bizdä; bizdän - we
      siz; sizin/sin; sizyä; sizi; sizdä; sizdän - you (pl)
      olar; anlarïn/layn; anlara; anlarï; anlarda; anlardan - they

      as you will have noticed: <ben> with <b-> like in Turkish, the other cases
      with <m-> like all other Turkic languages

      to be a doctor: N S T
      doqtorïm [dOx"tOrim] [dOx"tOr@m] doktorum I'm a doctor
      doqtorsïn [dOx"tOrsin] [dOx"tOrs@m] doktorsun you're a etc
      doqtordïr [dOx"tOrdir] [dOx"tOrd@r] doktordur he etc
      doqtorïz [dOx"tOris] [dOx"tOr@z] doktoruz w
      doqtorsïng'ïz[dOx"torsi~s][dOx"tors@N@z]doktorsunuz
      doqtordar [dOx"tOrdar] [dOx"tOrdar] doktordurlar

      N S T
      düxinmäk [dju"Sinmak] [dy"SinmEk] düs,ünmek to think
      düxinäyrim [dju"Sinajrim][dy"SinEjrim] düs,ünüyorum I think
      düxinäysin [dju"Sinajsin][dy"SinEjsin] düs,ünüyorsun you think
      düxinäy [dju"Sinaj] [dy"SinEj] düs,ünüyor he/she thinks
      düxinäyriz [dju"Sinajris][dy"SinEjriz] düs,ünüyoruz we think
      düxinäysiz [dju"Sinajsis][dy"SinEjsiz] düs,ünüyorsunuz you (pl) think
      düxinäylär [dju"Sinajlar][dy"SinEjlEr] düs,ünüyorlar they think

      Ingmar