Re: Alborgian

  • Ingmar Roerdinkholder
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2005
      From: "Ingmar Roerdinkholder" <ingmar.roerdinkholder@...>
      To: <CONLANG@...>
      Cc: "Ingmar Roerdinkholder" <ingmar.roerdinkholder@...>
      Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 9:20 PM
      Subject: Re: Alborgian

      Did you name it after "Ajami", better known as Mozárabe (Mozarabic), the
      Romance language of Andalucia under Moorish rule?

      I'd like to know more about YOUR Ajami, is it a conlang or is it a modern
      form of Mozarabe, or ... Tell me all about it.

      Btw, I'm sure there is enough to be found on the web about all kind of
      Arabic dialects, just try and look for it.

      If your interested, I can send you my file about Alborgian, but it is
      written in Dutch...

      Ingmar

      On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 21:56:45 +0300, Isaac Penzev <isaacp@...> wrote:

      >Ingmar Roerdinkholder jazdy:
      >
      >> Alborgian was a project I was working on about 10 to five years ago.
      >> I used a number of books for the info on Arabic dialects:
      >
      >:(
      >
      >I thought there was something on the web...
      >No wonder my Romance-Arabic hybride "Ajami" borrows from Classical Arabic.
      >Does somebody know why most Arabic borrowings in Farsi are very close to
      >Standard Arabic (only adapted to Farsi phonology)? That was a pattern for
      >me.
      >
      >-- Yitzik
    • Isaac Penzev
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
        Ingmar Roerdinkholder jazdy:

        > Did you name it after "Ajami", better known as Mozárabe (Mozarabic), the
        > Romance language of Andalucia under Moorish rule?

        Mozarabic was the prototype I had in mind while constructing this project. I
        invented the name "3ajamiya" before I knew it had been applied to the REAL
        language.

        > I'd like to know more about YOUR Ajami, is it a conlang or is it a modern
        > form of Mozarabe, or ... Tell me all about it.

        Since the conhistory of the project lies in the realm of an alternative
        timeline (where there were no Reconquista), it is definitely a conlang.
        Resources about Mozarabaic *here are too scarce, so MY Ajami is a kind of
        Mediaeval Spanish plus a lot of Arabic lexical borrowings. I used Farsi as a
        pattern.

        Most of the material is on paper. I have uploaded today several sporadic web
        pages that were originally intended to be my private notes in digital form,
        but I had no time to type all I had on paper. You can see it here:

        http://isaacp.narod.ru/01main.htm

        To see it correctly, you may need to switch to WestEuropean encoding
        manually - blame it to the Narod.ru...

        > Btw, I'm sure there is enough to be found on the web about all kind of
        > Arabic dialects, just try and look for it.
        >
        > If your interested, I can send you my file about Alborgian, but it is
        > written in Dutch...

        No, thanx. I think I could figure out linguistic Dutch, but Arabic dialects
        aren't my first priority now. I'm trying to find time and stamina for
        fleshing out my project #20 (a Turkic conlang with strong Slavic influence)
        and a concultural project of alternative history "1934: Kirov Is With Us".

        -- Yitzik