CHAT: totally off-topic linguistic humor

  • Thomas Wier
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005
      As a break from our (extremely sober) discussion of givenness
      hierarchies and 'existential voice' (quoth the raven), here's
      something to break the ice. Jim McCawley, of blessed memory,
      was not just a linguist, but a humorist as well.

      <http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002122.html#more>

      I have personal experience of '17 May 1966': when I saw Ross
      again at CLS last month, he told me no less than three dirty
      jokes, one involving necrophilia and railroads (!!!). John
      Goldsmith nearly fell over laughing...

      Thomas Wier "I find it useful to meet my subjects personally,
      Dept. of Linguistics because our secret police don't get it right
      University of Chicago half the time." -- octogenarian Sheikh Zayed of
      1010 E. 59th Street Abu Dhabi, to a French reporter.
      Chicago, IL 60637