Fwd: Re: Workshops Review #06

  • caeruleancentaur
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
      --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@M...> wrote:
      Isaac Penzev wrote:

      > P.S. I'm not too active now because of Real Life (TM). On the 20th
      of Adar
      > I, 5765 (=March 1, 2005) my wife bore us a child - our second son!
      >
      > -- Yitzik

      ¡sunvéndom mupénda!

      Is "mazel tov" appropriate on this occasion? I believe it
      means "good luck" which somehow doesn't sound appropriate, as
      in "good luck raising the kid!"

      Charlie
      http://wiki.frath.net/user:caeruleancentaur
    • Steg Belsky
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2005
        On Mar 7, 2005, at 8:28 PM, caeruleancentaur wrote:
        > --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@M...> wrote:
        > Isaac Penzev wrote:

        >> P.S. I'm not too active now because of Real Life (TM). On the 20th
        > of Adar
        >> I, 5765 (=March 1, 2005) my wife bore us a child - our second son!
        >> -- Yitzik

        > ¡sunvéndom mupénda!
        > Is "mazel tov" appropriate on this occasion? I believe it
        > means "good luck" which somehow doesn't sound appropriate, as
        > in "good luck raising the kid!"
        > Charlie
        > http://wiki.frath.net/user:caeruleancentaur

        _Mazal tov_ is appropriate!
        Although it means literally "good luck", it's used in the sense of
        "congratulations on having had good luck" and not "i hope you have good
        luck in the future".
        "Good luck!" in [Modern] Hebrew is _behatzlahha_ ("with success").

        -Stephen (Steg)
        "[would you like a] 'virgin'?"
        ~ what happens when you give silly English names
        to products in non-English-speaking countries