Re: Irish Gaelic is evil!

  • Steg Belsky
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 1, 2005
      On Mar 1, 2005, at 8:24 PM, Carsten Becker wrote:
      > Sheet 1: "Ceacht a hAon" (Lesson 1): BEANNACHTAÍ (Greetings)
      > A man meets a friend at home, but her dog is making things
      > difficult since it doesn't like the man ...
      > -- Dia duit. (JEE-ah ditch) Hello.
      > Fáilte (FWAL-tche) Welcome.
      > -- Dia is Muire duit. (JEE-ah iss MWER-ah ditch[1]) Hello!
      > (reply)
      > -- Cad é mar tá tú? (cad ay mar TAW too) How are you?
      > -- Go maith, go raibh maith agat. (guh moyh, guh roe moyh
      > agat) Well, thank you.
      > -- Go measartha, go raibh maith agat. (guh MASS-ar-ha, guh
      > roe moyh agat.) Fair, thanks.

      Yay for Irish! ;-)

      I remember this basic greeting stuff from my one semester "Irish
      Language and Culture" class a few years ago.

      If i remember correctly, _Dia duit_ (not |Día|?) was pronounced by my
      teacher as something like /'dZ)i@ gItS)/, and everyone was really
      confused how _duit_ could sound like "gitch"... eventually i realized
      that it must be either an incredibly strongly velarized /d/, or what
      happens when a non-native speaker tries to reproduce such a sound.

      I think my teacher said that _Dia duit_ and _Dia is Muire duit_
      literally mean something like "God be with you" and "God and Mary be
      with you", and that people who might feel uncomfortable using
      theologically-loaded greetings could just stick to "cad é mar tá tú"
      type 'how're you doing?' greetings.

      -Stephen (Steg)
      "survival is insufficient."
    • Philip Newton
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:46:04 +0000, Keith Gaughan <kmgaughan@...> wrote:
        > However, it reminds me of one time a friend of mine from Stuttgart was
        > over here and was trying to get me to pronounce "Spätlese" properly.
        > I kept on falling down on the _ä_ for some reason...

        Should just pronounce it with my accent, which has [e:] for /E:/ :) So
        if you can say "lese" ([le:z@]) then you've already got the vowel
        sound sorted: ['Spe:t,le:z@].

        Cheers,
        --