Fonts

  • Kevin Athey
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 11, 2005
      Can anyone suggest free PC font-design software? My needs are not to
      extensive, but any recommendations would be well-recieved.

      Athey

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 11, 2005
        Kevin Athey wrote:
        > Can anyone suggest free PC font-design software? My needs are not to
        > extensive, but any recommendations would be well-recieved.

        I've used the program from
        http://www.high-logic.com/fcp.html in the past and liked it. However, the
        30 day trial _does_ expire, and the price is now up to US$65.00 :-(((((((
        Also, it only works on Windows.

        Hopefully others will know of really free programs or workarounds.........
      • Arthaey Angosii
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 11, 2005
          Emaelivpeith Kevin Athey:
          > Can anyone suggest free PC font-design software? My needs are not to
          > extensive, but any recommendations would be well-recieved.

          The ones I know of:

          * MetaFont -- http://metafont.latex.free.fr/
          * FontForge -- http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/
          * Softy -- http://users.breathe.com/l-emmett/

          (I'll add any other suggestions to
          http://arthaey.mine.nu:8080/~arthaey/conlang/faq.html#Computers1 when
          this thread finishes.)

          --
          AA
          http://arthaey.mine.nu:8080/

          (watch the Reply-To!)
        • Jonathyn Bet'nct
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 11, 2005
            On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:30:36 -0800, Arthaey Angosii <arthaey@...> wrote:
            > Emaelivpeith Kevin Athey:
            > > Can anyone suggest free PC font-design software? My needs are not to
            > > extensive, but any recommendations would be well-recieved.
            >
            > The ones I know of:
            >
            > * MetaFont -- http://metafont.latex.free.fr/
            > * FontForge -- http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/
            > * Softy -- http://users.breathe.com/l-emmett/

            I use one called ScanFont (
            http://www.fontlab.com/Font-tools/ScanFont/ ). It's not free, but
            there is a crack out there somewhere. I would use FontForge, but I
            can't seem to figure out how to make it generate fonts Windows will
            accept.

            --
            Hasta la pasta,
            Jonathyn Bet'nct.

            Help me get a free iPod:
            http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=jonrelay@...
            (Probably a pyramid scheme or whatever, but whatever...)
          • John Lategan
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
              Hello eveyone.

              If any of you have con-script for your conlangs, how do you type it, not
              using a romanisation?

              Do any of you perhaps know of a free font (ttf) maker, or one with a free
              trail that will export the full ttf without distorting the font much?

              Thank you,
              John Lategan
            • Philip Newton
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 09:49, John Lategan <jlateg@...> wrote:
                > If any of you have con-script for your conlangs, how do you type it, not
                > using a romanisation?

                I don't have a conscript as such, but I use non-Latin scripts
                occasionally; what I did is make a keymap for the "Vim" text editor
                which turns the romanisation into the appropriate Unicode code points
                for the appropriate script.

                Cheers,
                Philip
                --
                Philip Newton <philip.newton@...>
              • Arthaey Angosii
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                  On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:49 AM, John Lategan <jlateg@...> wrote:
                  > If any of you have con-script for your conlangs, how do you type it, not
                  > using a romanisation?

                  I have a Perl script that will take my romanization and turn it into
                  the correct codepoints to display the conscript glyphs in my font.

                  I have also used MSKLC to make a Windows keyboard that lets me type my
                  romanization (or close to it) and directly outputs the Unicode
                  codepoints needed for my font. It's not perfect, but it does work
                  (more or less).

                  > Do any of you perhaps know of a free font (ttf) maker, or one with a free
                  > trail that will export the full ttf without distorting the font much?

                  I've been happy with the free tools Inkscape and FontForge.
                  FontForge's interface is pretty damn ugly, but it does work. But for
                  free, I'm not complaining too much. :)

                  Links to software mentioned above:

                  - http://www.inkscape.org/
                  - http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/
                  - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8be579aa-780d-4253-9e0a-e17e51db2223

                  --
                  AA
                • Michael Poxon
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                    FontStruct allows you to do it online and then download a .ttf file when
                    you're satisfied. You can keep updating as well. It's a bit limited
                    graphically but may well serve your needs.
                    http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/
                    Mike

                    > If any of you have con-script for your conlangs, how do you type it, not
                    > using a romanisation?
                    >
                    > Do any of you perhaps know of a free font (ttf) maker, or one with a free
                    > trail that will export the full ttf without distorting the font much?
                    >
                    > Thank you,
                    > John Lategan

                    19:42:00
                  • Mark J. Reed
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                      Since my conscript works by combining the letters into syllable
                      blocks, kind of like Hangul, there's no rendering support for it in
                      standard text engines.. What I did was write a program to take Roman
                      text as input and output an image of the rendered native version...
                    • <deinx nxtxr>
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                        John Lategan wrote:

                        > If any of you have con-script for your conlangs, how do you type it, not
                        > using a romanisation?

                        The Deini script has been assigned to a section of the user area in
                        Unicode. I checked Evertype to find an open area. To type it, I
                        used MSKLC to create a keyboard layout for it, and by using CapsLock
                        it will produce a Romanization. I'm now switching to OSX so I'll
                        have to rework the keyboard layout. I downloaded Ukelele but
                        haven't had a chance to try it yet.

                        > Do any of you perhaps know of a free font (ttf) maker, or one with a free
                        > trail that will export the full ttf without distorting the font much?

                        There are a few out there. I would check www.sourceforge.net for
                        something open source. There's also Font Lab which will work fine
                        as long as you complete your font before it times out, at least that
                        was how it was a while back when I last worked with it. It's fairly
                        easy to use.
                      • John Osborne
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                          If you're on linux or one of the other free unix OS's, there's an app
                          called FontForge. I'm not sure if it has been ported over to windows
                          or mac os, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

                          --
                          John Osborne
                          osborne6@.../jro@...
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                            John Osborne wrote:
                            > If you're on linux or one of the other free unix OS's, there's an app
                            > called FontForge. I'm not sure if it has been ported over to windows
                            > or mac os, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

                            There are products like andLinux to run Linux applications under
                            Windows. ISTR FontForge being a bit more advanced though so
                            probably not the best thing for a novice to try unless he has a lot
                            of patience.
                          • John Osborne
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                              It does have a bit of a learning curve, but the flexibility (in my
                              opinion) more than makes up for that.

                              On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM, <deinx nxtxr> <deinx.nxtxr@...> wrote:
                              > John Osborne wrote:
                              >>
                              >> If you're on linux or one of the other free unix OS's, there's an app
                              >> called FontForge.  I'm not sure if it has been ported over to windows
                              >> or mac os, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
                              >
                              > There are products like andLinux to run Linux applications under Windows.
                              >  ISTR FontForge being a bit more advanced though so probably not the best
                              > thing for a novice to try unless he has a lot of patience.

                              --
                              John Osborne
                              osborne6@.../jro@...
                            • Garth Wallace
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                                On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 6:33 AM, John Osborne <osborne6@...> wrote:
                                > If you're on linux or one of the other free unix OS's, there's an app
                                > called FontForge.  I'm not sure if it has been ported over to windows
                                > or mac os, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

                                Can it do joined glyphs a la Arabic, or cluster characters like Hangul?
                              • Carsten Becker
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                                  Garth Wallace schrieb:
                                  > Can it do joined glyphs a la Arabic, or cluster characters like Hangul?

                                  If you can make the rendering engine believe you're using either, yes.
                                  Otherwise things may get a little difficult.

                                  Carsten
                                  (who has tinkered with Fontforge before and was frustrated about the
                                  limits imposed by both Windows' and Linux's font rendering engines)
                                • Garth Wallace
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                                    On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Carsten Becker <carbeck@...> wrote:
                                    > Garth Wallace schrieb:
                                    >>
                                    >> Can it do joined glyphs a la Arabic, or cluster characters like Hangul?
                                    >
                                    > If you can make the rendering engine believe you're using either, yes.
                                    > Otherwise things may get a little difficult.
                                    >
                                    > Carsten
                                    > (who has tinkered with Fontforge before and was frustrated about the limits
                                    > imposed by both Windows' and Linux's font rendering engines)

                                    In other words, only for those preset character ranges, not the
                                    private use area? Boo...
                                  • Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 27, 2009
                                      Here are links to two sites for creating your own font
                                      Font Generator - Make Your Own Handwriting Font With Your
                                      Fonts<http://www.yourfonts.com/>
                                      Create a font from your own handwriting -
                                      fontcapture.com<http://www.fontcapture.com/>
                                      God bless you always, all ways,
                                      Paul

                                      On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:49 AM, John Lategan <jlateg@...> wrote:

                                      > Hello eveyone.
                                      >
                                      > If any of you have con-script for your conlangs, how do you type it, not
                                      > using a romanisation?
                                      >
                                      > Do any of you perhaps know of a free font (ttf) maker, or one with a free
                                      > trail that will export the full ttf without distorting the font much?
                                      >
                                      > Thank you,
                                      > John Lategan

                                    • kate rhodes
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 30, 2009
                                        On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
                                        <pjschleitwilerfcm@...> wrote:
                                        > Here are links to two sites for creating your own font
                                        > Font Generator - Make Your Own Handwriting Font With Your
                                        > Fonts<http://www.yourfonts.com/>
                                        > Create a font from your own handwriting -
                                        > fontcapture.com<http://www.fontcapture.com/>

                                        I used Your Fonts ( http://yourfonts.com ) for mine. The results were
                                        passable as long as you keep the font size relatively small. The edges
                                        are really rough when you zoom in (or make it large) though. I tried
                                        bringing it in to FontForge for editing and there were simply too many
                                        points that needed cleaning up. If you wanted something really clean
                                        it'd probably take less time to build one from scratch in it. If
                                        you're ok with something that looks passable at typical font sizes and
                                        are ok with the limitation of a font that simply maps your orthography
                                        to a-z, its accented cousins, and the common symbols I'd recommend it.
                                        It's free, filling out the template is a fun little diversion
                                        (although it'll take you a couple attempts to get each page perfect
                                        and requires a scanner), and being able to type in your languages
                                        orthography is just excellent.

                                        -Kate
                                      • Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 2, 2009
                                          You can create the symbols/characters/letter forms in a vector program, such
                                          as Inkscape, and paste them into the template without printing or scanning.
                                          This produces clean images without clean up.

                                          On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:15 AM, kate rhodes <masukomi@...> wrote:

                                          > On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
                                          > <pjschleitwilerfcm@...> wrote:
                                          > > Here are links to two sites for creating your own font
                                          > > Font Generator - Make Your Own Handwriting Font With Your
                                          > > Fonts<http://www.yourfonts.com/>
                                          > > Create a font from your own handwriting -
                                          > > fontcapture.com<http://www.fontcapture.com/>
                                          >
                                          > I used Your Fonts ( http://yourfonts.com ) for mine. The results were
                                          > passable as long as you keep the font size relatively small. The edges
                                          > are really rough when you zoom in (or make it large) though. I tried
                                          > bringing it in to FontForge for editing and there were simply too many
                                          > points that needed cleaning up. If you wanted something really clean
                                          > it'd probably take less time to build one from scratch in it. If
                                          > you're ok with something that looks passable at typical font sizes and
                                          > are ok with the limitation of a font that simply maps your orthography
                                          > to a-z, its accented cousins, and the common symbols I'd recommend it.
                                          > It's free, filling out the template is a fun little diversion
                                          > (although it'll take you a couple attempts to get each page perfect
                                          > and requires a scanner), and being able to type in your languages
                                          > orthography is just excellent.
                                          >
                                          > -Kate

                                        • kate rhodes
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                                            On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
                                            <pjschleitwilerfcm@...> wrote:
                                            > You can create the symbols/characters/letter forms in a vector program, such
                                            > as Inkscape, and paste them into the template without printing or scanning.
                                            > This produces clean images without clean up.

                                            One of those forehead slappingly obvious ideas I should have caught
                                            the first time around.
                                            Thanks Paul.

                                            -Kate