Re: /x/ and 'inter-Germanic' (was: Intergermansk)

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      Quoting "Pascal A. Kramm" <pkramm@...>:

      > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:56:53 +0100, Andreas Johansson <andjo@...> wrote:
      >
      > >Quoting "Pascal A. Kramm" <pkramm@...>:
      > >
      > >> Care to explain what sounds you mean by /x\/ and [8\]?
      > >> They're not on the Cxs table...
      > >
      > >[x\] should be on the CXS chart, since it's part of X-SAMPA. It corresponds
      > >IPA hooktop heng, and denotes the simultaneous articulation of [S] and [x].
      >
      > Ah yes, now I see it - didn't look there. However, I can't imagine how that
      > would sound... "simultaneous"?

      You simply (well, it may take some practice!) create narrow passages at the
      places for [S] and [x] at the same time and produce a voiceless fricative.
      There are some websites with recordings of all IPA sounds available, so you
      could google around for a soundclip of it.

      The sound is, well, like a [x]-y [S] or a [S]-y [x]. :)

      > >[8\] is mine and BP's homecooked convention to ASCIIify "turned m with short
      > >middle leg", a sign that's used in Swedish phonetics to denote a labialized
      > >[2]. The sound might more clunkily and analytically be denoted as [2_w]. It
      > may
      > >be noted that my lect substitutes plain old boring [u\] for it.
      >
      > [2] would be a simple รถ, no problems there - but what does "labialized"
      > mean? It's generally used for consonants, but with a vowel?

      See earlier mails by me and BP.

      Andreas