Re: Slang, curses and vulgarities - Suficxe!

  • Martha C. Cardenas
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
      In a message dated 2/1/2005 9:44:08 AM Pacific Standard Time, markjreed@... writes:
      Could we lay off the sex stereotypes, please?
      It just seems like that stereotype is definitely getting reinforced here, but not by me.
      Most of my female coworkers are more adept at sailorish cursing than the males are.
      I proudly served in the U.S. Navy, including Desert Shield/Desert Storm tour of duty, leaving my four children, ages 2, 4, 5, and 11 at home, and I do not rely on cursing/slang/vulgarities in my daily communication with others. Speaking of stereotypes... =)

      It IS an interesting subject to be discussed, but we reached the saturation point about 100 posts ago.

      P.S. Remember this comment from a group member? "I love this thread; profanity is so awesome :)"

      Mar - San Diego
    • Keith Gaughan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
        Martha C. Cardenas wrote:

        > I was asking a good friend of mine recently what percentage of "conlangers"
        > he thought were male. After being bombarded by such slew of emails on this
        > topic, the answer seems more obvious now. I wonder if this is the group's way of
        > keeping it male-dominated!

        Nope, I'd say the split is about 60/40 right now, with is bobbing up to
        50/50 sometimes. I've no solid evidence of this, but that's my
        impression from posts. Of course, this doesn't take into account all the
        lurkers. I don't think it's really worth doing a poll to check though.

        I think you're taking the vulgarities thread too much to heart.
        Vulgarities are something that crop up in languages, and by that token
        are something deserve to be discussed on the list. Its not as if anybody
        was being purposely vulgar: most of the time the words were discussed
        rather clinically.

        Really, I don't know how long you've been on the list, but I've been on
        it on and off since around 1999 (I think), and if you look at the
        archive you'll see that the only people who get berated off the list,
        whether directly or indirectly, are spammers or AUXLANG zealots.

        K.
      • Keith Gaughan
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          Chris Bates wrote:

          > Wasn't there a poll that showed that we had lots more men, left handers,
          > and gay people here than in the population at large? :)

          Yup, and don't forget those bloody gay, bearded, left-handed
          lithuanians! Insidious, they are!

          K.