Re: writing system

  • B. Garcia
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 2, 2005
      On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 06:24:27 -0600, Thomas R. Wier <trwier@...> wrote:

      > IMHO, the most beautiful script is Tengwar; second thereto being only
      > Georgian mkhedruli. I don't know where Tolkien got his inspiration, but
      > there are eery resemblances in shape and sometimes in value to mkhedruli:
      > Sindarin <s> is almost identical to mkhedruli _sani_, and the whole feel
      > of the alphabet is similar.

      While _I_ on the other hand find tengwar pretty, but not nearly as
      beautiful as the many forms of Arabic, or grass script Chinese. I also
      tend to prefer Indic style scripts as well (evidenced by my Kuraw)
    • Philip Newton
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 7, 2010
        On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:
        > My daughter just asked me about a photo that was taken many years. It shows
        > a large (truck-sized) rock with writing painted on it. In white there is a
        > set of linear squiggles and dots and below that is a tesseract.
        > The rock is in Fort Irwin, California, where I participated in too many
        > field exercises during my army years. The figure above the tesseract is my
        > given name (Steven), written vertically in binary with the adjacent
        > dots-for-ones connected.
        >
        > S 19 10011
        > T 20 10100
        > E  5  00101
        > V 22 10110
        > E  5  00101
        > N 14 01110
        >
        > |*..**
        > |*.*..
        > |..*.*
        > |.*.**
        > |..*.*
        > |.***.
        >
        > Has anyone else done something like this?

        While not based on binary, I saw someone write Braille, but with
        adjacent dots connected (so "g" looked like a square, "x" like a
        vertically-widened equals sign, etc.). And I occasionally hand-write
        Braille like that, too, since it's easier than writing individual dots
        precisely.

        Cheers,
        Philip
        --