Re: writing system

  • Rene Uittenbogaard
    Message 1 of 56 , Jan 1, 2005
      # 1 wrote:

      > How do you create your writings?
      >
      > You sit and write them?
      >
      > You draw one or two when you have an idea?

      I, too, "suffered" from not knowing how to improve my glyphs; every time
      I tried to make a script for a conlang, it somehow looked the same.

      It got better when I actually sat down to study some interesting glyphs
      and tried to find out what the compounding elements are (e.g. serifs,
      loops, crossings..).

      When I started with Eyahwánsi I knew what kind of script I wanted, but
      couldn't really create suitable glyphs for it.
      I decided to print out several different scripts that resembled the type
      of script I was aiming at. I studied those, and then sat down and
      created a set of glyphs (not all at once - it took about three or four
      sessions to create all of them). Having studied several glyphs helped me
      to be able to create a script with the look-and-feel I had in mind.

      Take a look at http://www.omniglot.com/ to find inspiration.

      René
    • Philip Newton
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 7, 2010
        On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM, MorphemeAddict <lytlesw@...> wrote:
        > My daughter just asked me about a photo that was taken many years. It shows
        > a large (truck-sized) rock with writing painted on it. In white there is a
        > set of linear squiggles and dots and below that is a tesseract.
        > The rock is in Fort Irwin, California, where I participated in too many
        > field exercises during my army years. The figure above the tesseract is my
        > given name (Steven), written vertically in binary with the adjacent
        > dots-for-ones connected.
        >
        > S 19 10011
        > T 20 10100
        > E  5  00101
        > V 22 10110
        > E  5  00101
        > N 14 01110
        >
        > |*..**
        > |*.*..
        > |..*.*
        > |.*.**
        > |..*.*
        > |.***.
        >
        > Has anyone else done something like this?

        While not based on binary, I saw someone write Braille, but with
        adjacent dots connected (so "g" looked like a square, "x" like a
        vertically-widened equals sign, etc.). And I occasionally hand-write
        Braille like that, too, since it's easier than writing individual dots
        precisely.

        Cheers,
        Philip
        --