204155Re: Universal language for communicating with space aliens

  • Ajin Kwai
    Jul 27 8:09 AM
      Hello, this discussion is very interesting. My (human) conlang draga
      dealt with some of these questions for years. Eventually, it settled upon
      a predicate-argument structure, but what made things really work and made
      the language fully extensible (and by no means minimalistic) was the
      implementation of a "relator" class of particles to explicate what the
      relationship between the predicate and its arguments might be. However,
      only a predicate is absolutely necessary within any given phrase.

      I'll use the example y'all have already been discussing, but might I also
      point out that - "If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?" -
      does not necessarily have any Object in it in the first place?

      *IRR=irrealis
      *INT=interrogative
      *LOC=locative
      *CON=conjuctive relator
      *AGT=agency (not Agent)

      xe'a fo qsompi zwe'a yrlala, a phyí'o:
      INT IRR falling tree forest-LOC, IRR sound?
      "If tree were to fall in forest, would [there be] sound?"

      xe'a fo phyí'o qsompi yrlala, a zwe'a:
      INT IRR sound falling forest-LOC, IRR tree?
      "If sound (of) falling [is] in forest, would [it be] tree?"

      xe'a fo zwe'a phyí'o yrlala, a qsompi:
      INT IRR tree sound forest-LOC, IRR fall
      "If a noisy tree is in the forest, would [it be] falling?"

      xe'a phyí'o:
      INT sound
      "Is that a sound? What is that sound?"

      xe'a qsompi:
      INT fall
      "Is something falling? Did it fall?"

      xe'a yrlala:
      INT forest-LOC
      "Is it in the forest?"

      xe'a zwe'a:
      INT tree
      "Is it a tree?"

      fo qsompi, a phyí'o zwe'a:
      IRR fall, IRR sound tree
      "If [it] falls, tree sounds"

      fo qsompic, a phyí'o zwe'a:
      IRR fall-1p, IRR sound tree
      "If I fall, tree sounds" -or, less likely - "If I cause a fall, tree
      sounds"

      fo qsompic, a phyí'o zwe'a, dá'a yrlala:
      IRR fall-1p, IRR sound tree, CON forest-LOC
      "If I fall - or, less likely, cause a fall, - tree sounds [specifically,
      when the fall happens] in the forest"

      fo qsompixx, a phyí'o zwe'a:
      IRR fall-1p-AGT, IRR sound tree
      "If I cause a fall, tree sounds" (Technically could mean myself, the tree
      or anything else I might cause to fall)

      fo qsompi zwe'axx, a phyí'o:
      IRR fall tree-1p-AGT, IRR sound
      "If I cause tree to fall, [there will be] sound"

      fo qsompi zwe'a yrlalaxx , a phyí'o:
      IRR fall tree forest-LOC-1p-AGT, IRR sound
      "If tree falls (and) I make it happen in the forest, [there will be] sound"

      fo qsompi:
      IRR fall
      "Fall! I hope [it] falls."

      fo zwe'a:
      IRR tree
      "Hopefully, or maybe [that's a] tree." (possibly also "Turn into a tree!")

      fo yrlala:
      IRR forest-LOC
      "Hopefully [we're, it's, etc] in the forest / going into the forest." or
      "Go in the forest!"

      xe'a:
      INT
      "What? What is it/that? Is that so? Etc."

      These show how noun/verb/subject/object categories are pretty much
      meaningless in the language. Unfortunately, only one relator was
      necessary in the examples - "da'a", which happens to be at the meta-phrase
      level. But, in this language even phrases are related as Predicate and
      Arguments. The word level relators indicate relationships such as
      attribution, correlation/identity, association, composition,
      benfactor/benificiary, "functioning as", portionality. These as well as
      the phrase level relators make relativization very straightforward and
      easy.

      As for the aliens - according to abductees and contactees, it seems that
      they communicate telepathically ;)

      yasmin