204121Re: Universal language for communicating with space aliens

  • Patrik Austin
    Jul 25, 2014
      Logan, I think you had an interesting point, but as you say your background is in computing, I'd like to check we're on the same page before going further.

      You say:

      > I also find it interesting that CS theory tells us that anything that
      can be computed can be described by significantly less complex systems
      than we find in human languages (which is precisely why computer
      languages can be so much different, and simpler). Semantic
      interpretation *is* computation (which becomes blindingly obvious if
      you define the meaning of an expression to be the cognitive effect of
      that expression on the interpreter- not a very commonly used
      definition, but one which I like because I find it intuitively useful,
      probably in part because of my CS background); therefore, everything
      that can be expressed in natural human languages is theoretically
      expressible in much simpler logical systems such as are used in
      computer languages, if we could just figure out how to do it right.

      So I take it your view is that natlangs and complangs are essentially the same or something like that? And that everything that is expressed by human language can be expressed in a given computer language?

      As you're the expert, can you tell me how you say the following in a computer language: "I love you, but deep down I can't help wondering if you love me too."
    • Show all 118 messages in this topic