203002Re: Terzemian Vowels (again)

  • Jyri Lehtinen
    May 6, 2014

      > Hallo conlangers!
      >
      > On Monday 05 May 2014 03:08:03 Siva Kalyan wrote:
      >
      > > Though it looks like by the time the USSR got started, little and big yus
      > > no longer represented nasal vowels.
      >
      > Sure, they were no longer in use, but a scholar working on a
      > Cyrillicization of Terzemian may perhaps have "reactivated" them.

      This is certainly possible. The Kildin Saami orthography adapted yat to
      mark palatalisation on /t d n/ and contrasts it with the use of the soft
      sign. The motivation to this choice was that there's a need in the language
      to distinguish between functionally different types of palatal articulation
      and there just happened to be this old unused grapheme with a similar
      appearance to <ь>.

      >>I feel like "ү" and "ө" may or may not have survived, but my only
      >>appealing alternatives are the neographs "и̊" and "э̊".

      ><ө> is at least used in the transcription of Ket (for the schwa, I think).

      Both <ө ү> and <ӧ ӱ> are perfectly good choices and are in common use for
      languages having front rounded vowels and using a Cyrillic orthography. The
      dotted variants are the choice for the Uralic languages fitting to these
      two criteria and in the case of Mari their use dates back from the 19th
      century right up to the present.

      -Jyri
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic