202998Re: Gilgamesh question. --Pretty well OT

  • Guilherme Santos
    May 5, 2014
      It seems like there is a Portuguese version translated from the original
      Akkadian, but i was unable to find in online, and it seems like the one i
      found was translated from the English version.

      > It is of course possible that the Portuguese translation was based on the
      > English (depending on how many Portuguese-speaking Sumerologists there
      > are).
      >
      > 2014年5月6日火曜日、Roman Rausch<aranwe@...>さんは書きました:
      >
      > > >Gilgamesh went abroad in the world, but he met with none who could
      > > >withstand his arms till he came to Uruk.
      > > [...]
      > > >Does anyone here speak/read Akkadian or Sumerian? What is the word here
      > > translated as arms?
      > > > Which sort of arm does it mean?
      > >
      > > This is a really free prose translation. The closest thing which the
      > > original Akkadian seems to have is line 65 of tablet 1: _ul īši
      > šāninamma,
      > > tebû kakkūšu_ 'he has no rival, his weapons are ready' where the used
      > word
      > > is _kakku(m)_ 'weapon' (a loanword from Sumerian _kak_), pl. _kakkū_,
      > with
      > > masc. poss. _kakkūšu_ 'his weapons'. The word for 'arm' in the body part
      > > sense is _aḫu(m)_ (<ḫ> = [x]).
      > >
      > > For a line-by-line translation of the Akkadian text, you can download
      > > Andrew George's book from here, btw:
      > > http://eprints.soas.ac.uk/1603/
      > >
      > > >Or does it have the same polysemy as the English word?
      > >
      > > Is it really polysemy in English? I would rather say it's accidental
      > > homophony since the meaning 'weapon' is from French, and the two don't
      > seem
      > > to interact further, as far as I'm aware. (Unless perhaps in 'sidearm'?
      > > Mhm...)

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic