202989Re: Terzemian Vowels (again)

  • Siva Kalyan
    May 4, 2014
      Though it looks like by the time the USSR got started, little and big yus no longer represented nasal vowels.

      Sent with Mail Pilot

      On 5 May 2014 4:28:32 am, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:
      Hallo conlangers!

      On Sunday 04 May 2014 17:37:53 Paul Bennett wrote:

      > I've been tinkering with Terzemian again. This time, I'm back to the
      > question of the Cyrillic script for the vowels.
      >
      > The latest iteration of the vowels is ...
      >
      > /i/ /y/ /jM/ /M/ /ju/ /u/
      > /e/ /2/ /jA/ /A/ /jQ/ /Q/
      > /e~/ /A~/
      >
      > Most of the mappings are obvious. I've settled on "ы" and "ъı" for
      > /jM/ and /M/ respectively. Less obvious are /y/, /2/, /e~/ and /A~/.
      >
      > Bearing in mind that the Cyrillic script was introduced back before
      > the 19th and 20th century Russian spelling reforms, and the region was
      > Soviet for as long as that was relevant, what do you recommend?
      >
      > I feel like "ү" and "ө" may or may not have survived,

      These are used in many languages of the former USSR with front
      rounded vowels, so why not in Terzemian?

      > but my only
      > appealing alternatives are the neographs "и̊" and "э̊".
      >
      > As for /e~/ and /A~/ ... no Earthly idea, I'm afraid. Help! ;-)

      The *original* Cyrillic alphabet as used for Old Church Slavonic
      has letters for these, the so-called "little yus" and "big yus":

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yus

      --
      ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf