200839Re: Type 3 Incorporation

  • Siva Kalyan
    Feb 3, 2014
      I thought a classifier is a particular handshape that’s used to refer to an active entity of a particular category; not a region of space (though what you’re describing no doubt has a similar function). A quick Google search seems to confirm this: see http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/classifiers/classifiers-frame.htm.

      I’m quite out of my depth here, regarding both ASL and noun incorporation!

      Sent with Mail Pilot

      On 3 Feb 2014 19:40:02, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@...> wrote: On 3 February 2014 09:30, Siva Kalyan <sivakalyan.princeton@...>wrote:

      > Note, though, that ASL classifiers are probably a closed class (at least
      > going by the fact that they are in spoken languages), whereas Type 3
      > incorporation is fully productive.
      AFAIK, if I'm not remembering it completely wrong (I might!), ASL
      classifiers are basically *regions of space* in front of the signer that
      are designated in some way as having pronominal force for some kind of
      previously introduced referent. If that's so, then the only limitation I
      can imagine in the number of classifiers in use at a single moment is
      people's cognitive abilities, and the only limitation in general is
      people's ability to distinguish between two similar but not identical
      positions in space. Whether that makes them a "closed class" is debatable.

      And Type 3 incorporation might not always be fully productive. I think I
      remember reading about a language that only incorporates objects nouns that
      have a special "incorporated" form. Nouns that lack this form cannot be
      incorporated. In such a case, even Type 3 incorporation cannot be fully
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
      President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)

      Personal Website: http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic