200834Re: Type 3 Incorporation

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Feb 2, 2014
      On 2 February 2014 12:22, Siva Kalyan <sivakalyan.princeton@...>wrote:

      > From what I can make of it, Type 3 incorporation gets used when the entity
      > being referred to is “active” in the discourse (typically, it has just been
      > mentioned). It thus serves a similar function to (some instances of)
      > reduced stress in English: to use one of her examples, if A says, “You
      > never eat meat”, and B retorts, “I eat meat [unstressed] all the time!”,
      > B’s use of “meat” would be expressed with Type 3 incorporation, since
      > “meat” has just been mentioned, and is hence “active” at the time that B
      > mentions it.

      I've seen this "type 3" incorporation discussed before (can't remember
      where exactly). Basically, it's not unlike using the definite article in
      English, or indeed a pronoun. It marks definiteness due to having just been
      mentioned. It seems to be one of the ways languages indicate definiteness
      of objects.

      > Another way of looking at this is that Type 3 incorporation “converts a
      > noun into a pronoun”. If you think of “he” as the “pronominal equivalent”
      > of “man”, or “it” as the “pronominal equivalent” of “thing”, then the Type
      > 3-incorporated version of “meat” would be the pronominal equivalent of
      > “meat” (in its typical usage as a lexical noun). (Maybe that wasn’t as
      > helpful as I hoped it would be.)

      That sounds somewhat like classifiers in ASL, if I understand those
      correctly :).
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
      President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)