200821Announcing Pandari

  • Gary Shannon
    Feb 2, 2014
      My newest project. I've been looking for something to really sink my
      teeth into, and I think this fills the bill.

      I'm going to build a language based completely on a modified formal
      "right regular grammar". There will be no grammar outside of the list
      of rewrite rules, and no lexicon outside of the list of rewrite rules.
      In other wrods, the list of rewrite rules will completely define the
      language, grammar and lexicon.

      So far my list has 14 rules, and the latest sentence I've translated
      with those rules is: Níki i dári da hón xikár i asía patái. (My young
      brother is a good teacher who is very happy.)

      Details and further explanations at:
      http://cryptopian.com/conlang/pandari/pandari.html

      The rules so far are: (best viewed in mono-space type)

      1. <S> -> <SUBJ> <PRED> // Defines "sentence"

      2. <ADJ> -> dári // (young)
      3. <ADJ> -> hón // (good; skillful)
      4. <ADJ> -> patái // (happy)
      5. <ADJP> -> <ADJ> // Adjective Phrase is just an adjective
      6. <ADJP> -> asía <ADJ> // Adjective Phrase is "very" plus adjective
      7. <N> -> níki // (brother)
      8. <N> -> xikár // (teacher)
      9. <NMOD> -> i <ADJP> // (who is; which is; that is)
      10. <NP> -> <ADJP> <NP> // Noun phrase can be pre-modified
      11. <NP> -> <N> <NMOD> // Noun phrase can be post-modified
      12. <PRED> -> ban <ADJP> // (is: copula for adjectives)
      13. <PRED> -> da <NP> // (is: copula for noun phrase)
      14. <SUBJ> -> <NP> // Subject can be a noun phrase

      And the derivation of the sentence is:

      <S> // Seed
      <SUBJ> <PRED> // Rule 1
      <NP> <PRED> // Rule 14
      <N> <NMOD> <PRED> // Rule 11
      níki <NMOD> <PRED> // Rule 7
      níki i <ADJP> <PRED> // Rule 9
      níki i <ADJ> <PRED> // Rule 5
      níki i dári <PRED> // Rule 2
      níki i dári da <NP> // Rule 13
      níki i dári da <ADJP> <NP> // Rule 10
      níki i dári da <ADJ> <NP> // Rule 5
      níki i dári da hón <NP> // Rule 3
      níki i dári da hón <N> <NMOD> // Rule 11
      níki i dári da hón xikár <NMOD> // Rule 8
      níki i dári da hón xikár i <ADJP> // Rule 9
      níki i dári da hón xikár i asía patái // Rule 4
      Q.E.D.

      Comments are always welcome

      --gary
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic