Re: canonic 'quick brown fox' of English phonemes?

(200811)
  • Roger Mills
    Feb 2 Expand Messages
      Oh my, I think we could have a YAEPT on almost every one of those words. At least, many certainly don't match my "SA" pronunciation!!! Admittedly, the author is British, but still......

      On Sunday, February 2, 2014 3:06 AM, R A Brown <ray@...> wrote:

      On 01/02/2014 23:58, MorphemeAddict wrote:
      > Oh, no...!

      I'm afraid you have!

      "A quick brown fox ..." type of sentence is known as a
      pangram.  The sort of sentence you want would be a 'phonemic
      pangram.'

      Justin Rye discusses what he calls 'phonetic pangrams':
      http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/phono.html#s5

      Yep - sorry, but we sure have a YAEPT here  ;)

      > On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Adam Walker
      > <carraxan@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I'm not aware of one, but you do realize you just
      >> spawned YAEPT that will go on and on and on and never
      >> aanswer your question. But instead spawn aguements
      >> about how many phonemes there are in whose dialect.
      >> Sigh.

      Sigh, indeed!

      [J.G. Hamann, 1760]
      "A mind that thinks at its own expense