200806Re: THEORY: Don't speak my language!

  • David McCann
    Feb 2, 2014
      On Sun, 2 Feb 2014 11:49:51 +0100
      Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...> wrote:

      > Do you know, in History, some examples of peoples that didn't like
      > other people to speak their languages?

      I've read that it's not good form to address a local in Papua-New
      Guinea in Tok Pisin, at least in towns. It would suggest that you
      thought they were the sort of person who couldn't speak English. That
      is not the same thing, though, as it's not likely to be their own
      language, since there are few native speakers.

      The Hindi example is interesting. To judge by the often
      incomprehensible English of some Indian posters at Linux Questions, I'd
      have thought that those people, at least, would be very relieved at not
      having to speak it.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic