199231Re: OT: Sophisticated music (was: Native languages of the Americas ...)

  • Garth Wallace
    Oct 23, 2013
      On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...> wrote:
      > Hallo conlangers!
      >
      > On Tuesday 22 October 2013 09:12:32 -0700 Garth Wallace wrote:
      >
      >> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > [...]
      >> > I somehow do not expect hip-hop or electronic dance music
      >> > to spawn anything that can be compared to modern jazz or
      >> > progressive rock in its sophistication in the foreseeable
      >> > future, though. These musics seem way too limited and
      >> > formulaic to me. However, jazz and rock were that before
      >> > 1940 and before 1965, respectively, too (at least, those
      >> > genres were at least *hand-made* and not parasitizing music
      >> > recorded earlier), so we are perhaps in to a surprise.
      >>
      >> I'd say you're not looking in the right place. There's some very
      >> experimental electronic stuff out there, particularly the IDM genre
      >> (it stands for "intelligent dance music", a term that nobody likes
      >> including the DJs, but seems to have stuck regardless), like Aphex
      >> Twin, Squarepusher, and Boards Of Canada. I have an album of Aphex
      >> Twin music played by the avant-garde chamber group Alarm Will Sound,
      >> and the modern jazz trio The Bad Plus has recorded a cover of "Flim".
      >
      > Yes. I have heard of that, but did not pursue it in earnest,
      > because I could never really get into it. Aphex Twin have made
      > some weird stuff where you can see images, among other things of
      > a human face, in the spectrogram. Now that is truly avant-garde
      > in the sense that it has not been done before and *could not* be
      > done much before because the required technology was not yet
      > available! Of course, you need a spectral analysis program to
      > see the images; you cannot hear them (what you hear appears to
      > be just random noise). It thus falls under the same point of
      > criticism that was levelled at serialism earlier: the structures
      > are too intricate and hidden to actually hear them; it is "music
      > for the eyes" rather than "music for the ears".

      Richard D. James is an interesting case, because his work has actually
      been popular. Under all the skittering beats, he has some good
      melodies, and the results can be surprisingly pleasant, like "Girl/Boy
      Song".

      >> This seems to be slowly changing. But I live in an area that's pretty
      >> open to new musical ideas.
      >
      > I don't know where you live, but here in Germany, academic music
      > composed after 1945 is only rarely performed, and mostly by
      > specialized ensembles. There simply is not much of an audience
      > for it, because those whose tastes are not too conservative
      > anyway, seek their pleasure in modern jazz, progressive rock or
      > other sophisticated forms of popular music.

      The San Francisco bay area. Michael Tilson Thomas with the San
      Francisco Symphony has championed music from the 20th century and
      beyond, and the Berkeley Symphony (formerly under Kent Nagano) has
      been even more dedicated to new works. Also, the Kronos Quartet is
      from SF (though originally from Seattle).
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic