199214Re: THEORY: Native languages of the Americas in popular music

  • Garth Wallace
    Oct 21, 2013
      On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:04 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
      <tsela.cg@...> wrote:
      > (Resending this as my reply went to Padraic only...)
      >
      > On 21 October 2013 02:38, Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...> wrote:
      >
      >> > Style, as I understand it, are those all features which make a piece of
      >> music of
      >>
      >> > a genre - so if you hear blue notes, improv, polyrhythms, syncopation
      >> and swing
      >> > you can identify "yup, that style is jazz",
      >>
      >> Except when it's classical! All of those things are as perfectly at home
      >> in the musical
      >> world of the ancients as they are of the moderns. Clearly, something else
      >> makes it
      >> "jazz" or "classical"! :)
      >>

      > Not necessarily. At home I can get two TV channels devoted to classical
      > music. Both also feature jazz concerts prominently. So clearly for the
      > people who run those classical music channels, jazz falls under the
      > "classical music" moniker.

      I think it has more to do with the fact that they are both now
      considered "sophisticated music for intellectuals".

      > And indeed, I've heard more than once people arguing that jazz was the
      > proper evolution of classical music in our modern times,

      Music-history-wise, that position's pretty hard to defend. Although
      there's been influence (in both directions), jazz just plain did not
      originate in the classical tradition.

      > rather than the weird and atonal "modern classical music" that is
      > being made nowadays.

      If by "nowadays" you mean "a brief period in the middle of the last
      century". Even Boulez doesn't really mess with serialism anymore, and
      he was one of its biggest purists in its heyday.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic