199212Re: THEORY: Native languages of the Americas in popular music

  • Padraic Brown
    Oct 20, 2013
      > Style, as I understand it, are those all features which make a piece of music of

      > a genre - so if you hear blue notes, improv, polyrhythms, syncopation and swing
      > you can identify "yup, that style is jazz",

      Except when it's classical! All of those things are as perfectly at home in the musical
      world of the ancients as they are of the moderns. Clearly, something else makes it
      "jazz" or "classical"! :)

      > whereas genre is a bit
      > more to do with which radio station it gets played on or what aisle of HMV you
      > find the CD.
      >
      > Form relates more to a particular method of constructing a piece of music within
      > a genre. So, canons and passacaglia are forms of music, just like sonnets and
      > haikus are forms of poetry. They have specific components and elements which
      > have to be slotted together in the right order. However, this is quite a tight
      > definition and style, genre and form get thrown about quite interchangeably
      > sometimes, especially since the musical genres which most people listen to
      > nowadays only tend to have one form (and styles). Verse verse bridge
      > semi-chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, guitar solo, chorus, chorus and all that :)

      Yep. I was definitely not using a narrow definition!

      Padraic

      > Sam Stutter
      > samjjs89@...
      > "No e na'l cu barri"
      >

      >> On 20 Oct 2013, at 23:28, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> 2013/10/20 Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...>:
      >>> From: Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...>
      >>> [...]
      >>>
      >>> Things like "jazz", "R&B", "soul",
      > "swing", "rock", "pop", "rap",
      > "techno".
      >>> Basically, all inventions of the 20th century.
      >>
      >> So, I can't see how "musical form" is different from
      > "musical
      >> style/genre". I just remember that my violinist friend said that
      >> "form" is wider than "style".
      >>
      >> I wonder how common is for conlangers to create their own musical
      > constyles.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic