198603Re: Colloquial French resources

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Aug 30, 2013
      On 30 August 2013 06:03, Aidan Grey <taalenmaple@...> wrote:

      > Rather than just another Future English, I'm working on a future French.
      > Wassa is a polysynthetic French that's lost its nasals and its
      > uvular/guttural R, and I'm still playing with the idea of tones, but not
      > sure it's going to happen just yet.
      >
      > To that end - are there any good resources out there on colloquial / slang
      > French? The French I know / read is very academic and literary, and I need
      > to learn more about the ways that it's already changing.
      >
      > I've done some looking, but haven't had very good luck so far.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Aidan

      Well, one could call *me* a good resource on colloquial French (I prefer to
      call it "Spoken French", as there is nothing colloquial about it: even the
      formal registers of Spoken French are quite different from literary
      French), but I guess you'd rather have something you can read at your
      leisure, rather than someone who may not always be available to answer your
      questions :) .

      Unfortunately resources on Spoken French are indeed very scarce. Resources
      on vocabulary, and especially argot, are relatively easy to find, but
      grammatical info is just missing.

      You can find bits and pieces here:
      http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/negation_inf.htm (this page deals with
      negation, but also has links to other pages about Spoken French). In terms
      of books, _Colloquial French Grammar, a practical guide_ by Rodney Ball is
      not bad, but has a big hole in lacking a description of Spoken French's
      polypersonal verbs. Could be because it's from 2000. The polypersonal
      nature of Spoken French's verbs has been unrecognised for a long time,
      maybe because there's still a strong impression among people that Spoken
      French is a "debased" form of the language that is not worthy of study, and
      thus they will automatically code-switch to something somewhat closer to
      Written French when asked questions about their own language.It's difficult
      to study a grammatical feature when the natives refuse to use it in front
      of the linguist :P.

      And of course you can always ask me questions, on- and off-list. I may not
      always reply immediately, but I *always* reply eventually :).
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

      http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
    • Show all 50 messages in this topic