197952Re: Mood and author opinion

  • Leonardo Castro
    Jul 4, 2013
      2013/7/3 Padraic Brown <elemtilas@...>:

      >> On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:11:18 -0300, Leonardo Castro
      >> <leolucas1980@...> wrote:
      >> It's very succinct, so it looks like a "conjugation" associated with the
      >> the person being deictically referred to by the first person singular.
      >> But "afirma-se que" (it's affirmed that) and "nega-se
      >> que" (it's denied that) have the additional idea of "but I don't guarantee what
      >> is being told", while using "sim" (yes) and "não" (not)
      >> gives us the idea of undoubtful information, although we know that we are simply
      >> trusting the person who says that.
      >

      > Right. I don't see any "conjugation" here that specifically refers to the speaker.

      It occurs to me that if there was a "narrator pronoun" in some
      language, it could unify "not" and "deny", "yes" and "affirm", "may"
      and "guess", but it would sound very unnatural or philosophically
      sophisticated.

      Isn't "narrator" a better word than "speaker" for the person we're
      talking about?

      2013/7/3 H. S. Teoh <hsteoh@...>:
      > On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 10:10:07AM -0700, Padraic Brown wrote:
      > [...]
      >> Ordinarily, the "speaker" is, well, the one "speaking"! In this
      >> present paragraph, *I* am the speaker. In the paragraph I'm responding
      >> to, *you* are the speaker. In the paragraph you were responding to,
      >> *Alex* is the speaker. Things only gets a little wonkier in fiction:
      >> the author is always the underlying speaker, because the words and
      >> their context are his. (Unless it's a direct quote belonging to
      >> someone else, in which case *that* is the speaker and the author is
      >> merely quoting.) Above the level of author, the character to whom the
      >> author has given words to say is the in-story speaker.
      >>
      >> "The speaker" isn't always the first person, though. Even a story told
      >> in the first person might still record speech of other people. Those
      >> other people would still be the speakers of their own words. Of
      >> course, any story narrated in second person has *you* as the speaker,
      >> even though you never had anything to do with the actual writing of
      >> the story.
      >
      > This reminds me of a funny anecdote... when I was back in 13th grade
      > (back in those days when Ontario had such a thing), my English teacher
      > once stated in class that while a story could be written in the 3rd
      > person or the 1st person, it was impossible to write a story in the 2nd
      > person.

      That's how choose-the-ending kids books are written. Take a look:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic