195831Re: CHAT: Does etymology awareness affect your speech?

  • George Corley
    Mar 23, 2013
      On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Matthew George <matt.msg@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM, George Corley <gacorley@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > What exactly are you talking about?
      >

      > The introduction of 'borrow' as a synonym for 'loan'. It's a very
      > different case from the use of 'learn' as you describe.
      >
      > I have no prescriptivist impulses regarding 'learn' - it's the borrow-loan
      > shift that I'm rejecting.

      Alright. I will say that "borrow" for "loan" is not something that I
      immediately recognize, and even have the same intuition as you (that the
      interlocutor is being asked to borrow something on behalf of the speaker).
      Still, it exists and should be accounted for, regardless of whether either
      of us accept it intuitively, and we can easily do by comparing it to a
      pattern that exists cross-linguistically.
    • Show all 46 messages in this topic