195450OT: Kindles (was: Re: OT: Middle Egyptian dictionary/grammar in Russian

  • And Rosta
    Mar 3, 2013
      A. da Mek, On 01/03/2013 08:34:
      > I am not sure how it is in other parts of the universe and
      > multiverse, but here an average sized book costs about 30 Ermines*)
      > and a Kindle costs about 250 Ermines; so for everyone who intends to
      > read more than 8 books in his life it is cheeper to use the e-book.
      > In the landscape mode, even the .pdf files are usually readable on
      > the 800x600 px screen. I downloaded this Egyptian grammar and
      > although the letters are small, they can be read clearly. (I bought
      > Kindle when I wanted to read the Assyrinan dictionary

      Is it worth having (buying, toting around) a Kindle just as a pdf reader? Pdfs formatted for standard printed pages remain readable? On the Kindle I've seen, the text is formatted for a much smaller page size, more like what you'd expect from A6 or suchlike. My phone has a resolution of 480 x 800, which makes pdfs viewable only with pain and inconvenience. Are pdfs annotatable and are the annotations easy to export in a meaningful way (so that one can tell which part of the text they pertain to)? Is the onscreen keyboard (ABCDE rather than QWERTY in the pics I've seen) usable without pain?

      How do others read and annotate pdfs? Me I skim stuff on the laptop, and for careful reading and annotation I print them out and write on them with a pen, and eventually lose many of them in piles of papers.

      --And.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic