195405Re: OT: Middle Egyptian dictionary/grammar in Russian

  • taliesin the storyteller
    Mar 1, 2013
      On 03/01/2013 10:19 PM, George Corley wrote:
      > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM, taliesin the storyteller wrote:
      >> On 03/01/2013 06:56 PM, George Corley wrote:
      >>
      >>> How much do the ebooks cost. Sadly, the facts of publishing right now are
      >>> such that publishers vary in how they price ebooks. Some of them even
      >>> price the ebook higher than the paperback, even though the ebook is
      >>> probably cheaper to produce.
      >>
      >> I get the privilege of paying VAT on ebooks but not on paper books. So
      >> most ebooks are more expensive than most hardcovers. But then again, even
      >> an ebook only costs one fourth of what a paperbook bought locally written
      >> in my L1 does... I can't afford to read in my first language!
      >
      > That's kind of messed up. Does Norway have a big printing lobby or what?

      The publishers own the book clubs, the media (some tv-channels, some
      newspapers), the printers and the book stores. And the politicians :)
      They're currently pushing for a law that says they get to set and freeze
      book prices, making law out of what have been custom.

      t.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic