195209Re: The evolution of Angosey: 5 Translations of the same poem across 11 years

  • BPJ
    Feb 18, 2013
      On 2013-02-17 05:12, Daniel Bowman wrote:
      > Hello All,
      > Last weekend Alex Fink, Herman Miller and I met over brunch and had a great discussion about conlangs. I look forward to bringing up several things we touched on during the conversation. The first is the evolution of my conlang Angosey over the last eleven years. I mentioned that I retranslate the same poem every so often, and I can trace the changes that have occurred (both phonological, orthographical, and grammatical) in Angosey via my past translations. Alex mentioned that he'd be interested in hearing more about it, so I've written a blog post that shows examples from this poem that highlight the evolution of my language. Here's the link in case other list members are curious:
      > https://glossarch.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/the-linguistic-and-creative-evolution-of-angosey/
      > Best,
      > Danny

      You write:

      > About glossarch The word "glossarch" doesn't exist.
      > At least, not yet. But let's pretend it does for a
      > second. The first part is "gloss," a word that comes
      > to us from Ancient Greek via Latin and English. It
      > means "language." The second part also comes from
      > Ancient Greek and can mean "having power over." So
      > "glossarch" means simply "language controller." So
      > what am I doing making up words? Well, I made up an
      > entire language once. It's called Angosey. So I'm the
      > Glossarch of Angosey. I'm currently a doctorate
      > student in volcano seismology (a branch of
      > geophysics). I enjoy writing fiction and poetry,
      > launching balloons, programming, and hanging out with
      > my lovely wife!

      That's three occurrences in one paragraph, of which
      at least one is not a meta-quotation, so I'd say that
      the word exists! What 'exists' in a natlang is not
      dictated by dictionary and grammar writers, but by the
      usage of speakers. It may not be general or even
      'good' (whoever has the right to decide that) usage
      but obviously there is a subset, albeit very small,
      of English speakers who use the word. All neologisms
      in any language -- nat or con -- which have a connotation
      and not just are random phones or syllables exist by
      the force of the very fact that they have been
      uttered or written.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic