194109Re: Good = Mine

  • Jim Henry
    Jan 8, 2013
      On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Alex Fink <000024@...> wrote:
      > Ah, and another tricky cases are nouns with inherent negative valence, "problem", "fault", etc. Can nothing be my problem, or my fault?

      There are other ways to express those things: "this situation is
      hurting/annoying me", "I caused that bad situation", etc.

      > For what it's worth, if you dò think that I was dodging your intent I'd like to encourage you to think less so. People tend to consider ownership as the
      prototypical use of the genitive construction, and that fact certainly
      shouldn't be pooh-poohed, but to my eye it's at least not very
      _central_ to the cloud of senses:
      what feels closer to me is simply general association, or something
      like 'having as

      That makes sense to me, too. Certainly the genitive in most of the
      languages I've familiar with has many senses other than ownership, and
      I shouldn't be surprised if a corpus analysis showed the ownership
      sense to be less common than some of the others, or at least less
      common than all the others put together.

      --
      Jim Henry
      http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/