193937Re: Good = Mine

  • Daniel Demski
    Dec 30, 2012
      On Sunday, December 30, 2012, Sam Stutter wrote:

      > "My song" (probably more commonly "our song") is probably less to do with
      > liking and more to do with significance - "the song that defines me".

      Right; usually I would expect that, but I have known at least one person to
      use it more indiscriminately, calling things 'my song' or 'my band' mainly
      to convey enthusiasm. (Other apparent users of the expression, I know less
      well so cannot be sure.) It seems separate from the more common 'our song'.

      > If I was to take a wild guess at why "my film" might mean "good film" I
      > might think it had something to do with the deletion of "favourite", "kind
      > of" "variety of" (i.e. "the variety which are defined by all being liked by
      > me"). The "cup of tea" thing might be an droll reference to tea preferences
      > where "cup" is a useful shorthand for "taste". I don't know.

      I've always felt odd about expressions which suddenly make things personal.
      "A man after my own heart" is another one. On the one hand saying things
      like that can be sort of charismatic, because it makes it clear the speaker
      has a set of preferences, and implies those preferences are worth
      something. On the other hand, for me at least, there's a presumptuous
      aspect of dominance in it. By calling something 'my kind of song' you are
      assuming the listener cares about your personal preferences, and that they
      might be more relevant than a more objectively framed comment.

      I guess my general uneasiness might be why I'm trying to force the meaning
      of 'good' on something meant to express personal preference. Still, it
      seems a reasonable way for that sort of thing to grammaticalize.

      > Sam Stutter
      > samjjs89@... <javascript:;>
      > "No e na'l cu barri"
      >
      > On 30 Dec 2012, at 10:07, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1980@...<javascript:;>>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > In Brazilian Portuguese, people say "that's my song" ("essa é a minha
      > > música") meaning that they love that song or that that song fits their
      > > situations very well. The expression "that's my kind of ..." ("esse é
      > > o meu tipo de ...") usually mean "I like...", just like English, I
      > > guess. And "my business is ..." ("meu negócio is ...") can also mean
      > > "I like ...". For instance, "meu negócio é futebol" can be usually for
      > > "I like football/soccer".

      Neat! So still expressing a closer personal connection than just enjoyment.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic