189267Re: Honeymoons (and other conlang related wedding stuff)

  • Charles W Brickner
    Jul 1 5:14 PM
      >From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:CONLANG@...] On Behalf Of Douglas Koller
      >Subject: Re: Honeymoons (and other conlang related wedding stuff)

      >Of the languages I'm familiar with, there seems to be a whole lot of calquing going on....

      Of course, calquing! Although the concept of the honeymoon did not exist in the original culture, contemporary speakers of Senjecas have made the requisite calque:

      Dutch, Norwegian, and, Danish seem to have white bread flitting about in the concept -- wonder what that's about (thrown about like rice?). And speaking of flitting, under the German "Flitterwochen", they mention that it's not related to "sequins", although that would make honeymoons absolutely FABulous, but that it's from an older term "gevlitter" meaning "heimliches Lachen", which I originally took to mean "homely laughter". When I looked up "heimlich" in the dictionary, however, I found it meant "secret(ive)". "Secretive laughter" sounds to me like newlywed tee-hee-heeing under the covers during the honeymoon. Still, I do like the notion of "homely laughter" and that will be a new Géarthnuns word. Less pressing would be a word for tee-hee-heeing under the covers, but that's a fun concept, too -- it could happen.

      Meanwhile, I don't know if there is *any* connection, but one of the Czech words for 'honeymoon' is "líbánky", which reminds me of "libum". That word came into Géarthnuns a while ago as "líbuns" and I wanted to have libums (or liba?) in the Géarthtörs culture like the Japanese have もち (mochi), perhaps in a pile at New Year's (Google "libum" and there's a nice picture of a few with some bay leaves (à la kagami mochi with orange and greenery) -- one day I will try my hand at making these). But since it's a honey-based cake, why not *also* have that kick off the honeymoon with a snort of mead ("uspíetemníaks")? That's as far forward as I've moved the idea.

      Kou
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic