189263Re: Honeymoons (and other conlang related wedding stuff)

  • Padraic Brown
    Jul 1, 2012
      --- On Sun, 7/1/12, Daniel Burgener <burgener.daniel@...> wrote:

      > > Congratulations! I got married on the 8th and returned
      > on the 15th. It
      > > is most pleasant.
      > >

      > ...and...
      >
      > Congratulations!

      Ande, westhal ye allez!

      As for honeymoons in Auntimoanye, most folks don't drag out the whole
      affair after the marriage. There's no concept of a fortnight holiday
      down on the sunny beaches of Panpam. The word itself does exist: maltalthus
      and means, literally, the time of honey; but it has the older sense of
      a time of sweetness and warm fuzzies that accompany the new relationship
      rather than the newer sense of a postnuptial trip. There is also the word
      maltmênô and literally is "honey moon". But, as the sceuves tell us: swo
      wunnet wahhse se mênô all swo wunnet wane se mênô. Meaning "give em a
      month and they'll be as out of love as they were just in!"

      Now, where they have the parties is beforehand. There's always a feast
      during the trothplighting, on the anniversary and then during the wedding
      itself (i.e., two years after). The trothplighting and the wedding
      themselves always take place as part of the feast, rather than as separate
      events.

      Padraic

      > Thanks!  And congratulations to you as well, Logan!
      >
      > Similarly, the "conculture" of Mev Pailom is me and my
      > now-wife, but I
      > > also completely missed out on creating an expression
      > for "honeymoon".
      > > I suppose because it didn't really seem particularly
      > necessary. We
      > > just kind of went on a trip and talked about the things
      > that we were
      > > doing on the trip without actually giving the whole
      > time period a
      > > name.
      > > Actually, the development of the language as a whole
      > has been
      > > unexpectedly stalled; I was hoping we'd have more time
      > to work on it
      > > once wedding stuff was over with, but real life seems
      > to have had
      > > other plans and we fell out of using it for casual
      > conversation.
      >

      > Yeah, wedding stuff did the exact same thing to us....
      > It's a busy time.
      >
      > Gwr marriages are more like ours, always M+F, and they have
      > a honeymoon
      > > period called _jung (lo) tèy (hi-falling)_ [dZuN tæj]
      > 'sweet month'. The
      > > couple will usually be acquainted, but definitely not
      > sexually intimate.
      > > They avoid weddings in the winter, because of the cold
      > and difficult
      > > travel, but wealthy people might go south to one of the
      > Kash nations where
      > > it would be warm. In the summer, the couple might go to
      > the mountains. I
      > > don't think there's an equivalent of Niagara Falls
      > :-)))
      > >
      > > Prevli marriages, unlike the Kash, are mostly
      > religious, carried out by a
      > > shaman, and are M+F.The couple may or may not be
      > acquainted (arranged
      > > marriages were once the rule, but are less common now)
      > and probably not
      > > sexually intimate. They might go to one of the larger
      > Kash town nearby, or
      > > many just go camp out in the forest for a while.
      > Although they've had very
      > > little contact with the Gwr, they use the same term:
      > shurak yulkü 'month
      > > sweet'.
      > >

      > Interesting!  Is the honeymoon period a month
      > long?  That sounds pretty
      > nice to me... :)

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic