176500Re: Just For Fun: A 30-Day Conlang

  • Gary Shannon
    Nov 1, 2010
      Since all of my previous conlangs (with the exception of a reverse
      Polish experiment) have been SVO, my first executive decision in
      creating my new, unamed 30-day conlang is that it will have VOS word
      order so that I won't be tempted to borrow from any of my older
      grammars.

      In fact, after playing with English glosses I settled on this basic
      sentence structure:

      VPOTS

      V = verb, only exists in the present tense
      P = zero or more prepositional phrases
      O = optional direct object (if verb is transitive)
      T = tense modifying aux/particle
      S = subject

      So there would English glosses like:

      Give to Mary the book did John.
      Climb the tree will my cat.
      Run has-been-doing the dog.

      I will update my website later today with a translation of the first
      few sentences (75 words worth) and the complete lexicon once I get
      that far.

      --gary
      http://fiziwig.com/conlang/thirty_day.html
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic