174312Re: Language Phrase Books

  • Dale McCreery
    Aug 2, 2010
      I used to collect soviet era foreign language textbooks. Lots of gems,
      including an essay in romanian talking about how "it is the citizen of the
      Soviet Union who has turned the utopia of yesterday into the reality of
      today". However, the phrase I like the most was told to me second hand by
      an old soldier who served in Latvia. His Latvian phrasebook included the
      question "What is the best way to the centre of the city by A) foot B)
      tank?" and "Where is the mayor? A: captured, B: killed, C: missing".

      Dale
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic