174289Re: Language Phrase Books

  • David McCann
    Aug 1, 2010
      On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 20:07 +0100, Samuel Stutter wrote:
      > ... if anyone has got anything from 1910s, aristocratic tourism, then I'd love to see it)

      Not a phrase book, but a favourite of mine, is *Commercial travelers'
      guide to Latin America* by E. B. Filsinger (US Dept. of Commerce, 1922).

      "The Argentine immigration law requires all passengers to be in
      possession of a judicial or police certificate of sanity..."

      "Evening clothes are absolutely indispensable. A tuxedo should also be
      included. A frock coat for afternoon functions is also highly
      desirable."
      "Steamer trips on rivers in the tropics. A folding mosquito canopy is
      absolutely necessary."
      "Travel on horse or mule back. ... one's own saddle should be carried."
      "It is important to include in the baggage a kit containing certain
      simple remedies and some first aid appliances."
      "The traveler should avoid carrying too many pieces of baggage..."
      Now he tells us!
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic