169943Re: Adverbial verbs(like stative verbs)?

  • Douglas Koller
    Feb 1, 2010
      ----- "R A Brown" <ray@...> wrote:

      > Philip Newton wrote:
      > [snip]

      > > That works well for adverbs that are related to
      > adjectives ("in an ADJ
      > > manner", for example). But "adverb", at least in some
      > descriptions of
      > > some languages, is also a catch-all class for all sorts
      > of particles
      > > such as "tomorrow" and "there".

      > Yep - practically all the discussion so far has related to
      > what we, back in the 1950s, called "adverbs of manner" and,
      > indeed, solely to descriptive adjectives; and as it has been
      > pointed out, there is no real problem in dispensing with the
      > category "adverb [of manner]." Many natlangs don't have a
      > discrete category for them.

      > 'Tomorrow' may, of course, be used as a noun, so presumably
      > this can have some noun flexion. But 'there' ("adverb of
      > place") and 'then' ("adverb of time") seem to me a little
      > trickier.

      In Chinese, "tomorrow" is a noun and no inflection is required (Tomorrow is the day after the first day of the rest of your life.) (I'll go there tomorrow.). "There" is a noun. "Then", temporally, is "that time" (I was just a child then.). Causally, it could be "(as a) result" (If it's Tuesday, then it must be Belgium.). Sequentially, maybe something like "le lendemain", but for the next moment (I went to the train station, then I bought a magazine.)

      > When I saw Philip's 'there', my immediate response was "[in]
      > that place." Then I thought "Hey, how's Vincent going to
      > express 'that'? It's adjectival, but a stative verb doesn't
      > seem appropriate."

      Vincent didn't say compound nouns were out of bounds, so why not just let it be a (pro)noun: "He doesn't like that." That way, "that place" and "that time" are compound nouns like "firehouse". If you allow compound nouns, you might also get some differences in meaning:

      be-fast train - a fast train
      vs.
      fastness (i.e. speed) train - an express

      As for "*in* that place", (back to Chinese), make "in" a noun: that place('s) inside. "zhuo1zi shang4", "on the table" is "(the) table('s) 'on-top-of-ness'", so you can get things like:

      Shang4 you3 tian1tang2 Above has Heaven
      Xia4 you3 Su1Hang2 Below has Suzhou and Hangzhou

      Kou
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic