167862Re: New Blog Post: Moten Part I

  • Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    Dec 3, 2009
      2009/12/1 Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>

      > Hallo!
      >
      > On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 08:26:13 -0800, Roger Mills wrote:
      >
      > > --- On Tue, 12/1/09, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <tsela.cg@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > I've just started a new series of blogs about my conlangs.
      > > > [...]
      > >
      > > The back-story is charming! I'm looking forward to more information.
      >
      > Seconded. I have seen several good back-stories for conlangs,
      > but this one is indeed charming and original.

      Thanks to both of you. That back-story has always been part of the language,
      but it's the first time I articulate it in a clear way. I have mentioned it
      before, but it was always in passing (although I remember a thread with
      Sally Caves where we wondered whether that poor C.G. could be one of those
      people the Teonim kidnap - usually by negligence - and then release on Earth
      in another place and time. If that was so, Moten could actually be a
      language spoken in the far past, or even in the far future!). The advantage
      of such a back-story is that I can explain the bits of grammar tweaking I've
      been doing since first describing the language by explaining that C.G.'s
      recollection of his language, as good as it is, is not perfect, especially
      since he spent years speaking only French. Just like I explained away the
      phonotactics-breaking loanwords as being words borrowed after C.G. had
      already learned French and English (whereas in reality, what happened is
      that I created those borrowings before I had a good handle of the
      phonotactics of Moten ;) ).

      In any case, I'm happy that people like it. It's a bit of fiction that grew
      up a bit organically, without me really designing it on purpose, so I'm
      happy it is still appreciated.

      > Also, what is
      > to be read on the blog looks nice and interesting.

      Thanks! I don't write as much on this blog as I'd like to (although believe
      it or not, but I've got something like 30 posts in draft!), but when I do, I
      try to get it right :) .

      The next post about Moten should be published next week. I've already
      written quite a bit of it, but I'm still far from done.
      --
      Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

      http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic