165165Re: Vowel Harmony?

    Sep 10, 2009
      Pete (Bleackley?) wrote:
      ....what I
      > >call a "vowel melody" system, mainly on the ground that
      > I don't know a
      > >better term for it. There's an underlying three-vowel
      > system, but each
      > >vowel assimilates towards the following one, eg
      > >katiru > ketyru
      > >surami > soremi
      > >So we have a total of six vowels
      > >i y u
      > >  e o
      > >
      > >where subsequent syllables must contain vowels which
      > are either
      > >identical or adjecent in the triangle, and the final
      > vowel of a word
      > >must be at an apex of the triangle.
      > >
      > >Any real-life examples of such a system, and what would
      > it be called?

      My Prevli is similar, but the word-bases are only 2-syl. with penult stress, and the final V is affected in certain forms of the word, but in others forms, the underlying vowels appear. Thus the modified final vowels are not really phonemic. FWIW, it has a 5-vowel system /i e a u o/, only /i a u/ occur in final syl. and modify to [e, y, o, &, O]. (IIRC)

      Your system seems to involve a recusive umlaut rule-- V1 is affected by V2, then V2 by V3. You refer to the underlying /a i u/, but do these vowels ever actually occur in 1st or 2nd syllables? Where is the stress (perhaps word-final?), and does it matter?

      It's a rather intresting system :-))))
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic