164986Re: Vowel Harmony?

  • Benct Philip Jonsson
    Sep 4, 2009
      <deinx nxtxr> skrev:
      > I'm just curious about any conlangs out there that have vowel harmony
      > and how it's used. I'm considering it for a conlang I've been
      > contemplating for a few days now.

      AFMOC Classical Sohlob has vowel height harmony.

      The vowel system looks like this:

      high: i i\ u
      low: & a Q

      A word can have only all high or all low vowels.
      The related languages have similar systems. Kidilib
      has merged /i/ and /i\/ but is otherwise identical.
      Heleb has front rounded vowels:

      i y M u
      & 9 A Q

      and the vowels of every word must agree
      in height AND frontness, but not in rounding.

      There is an ANADEW for vowel height harmony, namely
      in Korean, although it's vestigal in the modern language:

      <http://www.cog.jhu.edu/grad-students/finley/isokl-paper.pdf>

      /BP 8^)>
      "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
      à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
      ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
      c'est qu'elles meurent." (Victor Hugo)
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic