161323Re: Nominal Aspect for Location Nouns

  • R. Dan Henry
    Jun 10, 2009
      On Sun, 31 May 2009 09:54:51 -0400, Larry Sulky <larrysulky@...>
      wrote:

      >I attended the University of California at Santa Cruz. That is its full
      >name. If I someone asked me if I attended the University of Arizona, and if
      >not, what school did I attend and where, I might answer "the University of
      >California, in Santa Cruz".

      I think that one reason for the use of "at" in the name of university
      locations may be that they can include university buildings or grounds
      that are not actually in the city. Thus it is formally "at" the city,
      while it may not be physically "in" the city, at least not completely.
      --
      R. Dan Henry
      danhenry@...