160610Re: How do non-English speaking linguists do interlinears?

  • Matthew Turnbull
    May 9, 2009
      Everywhere I can look, I see mostly that linguistics papers are written in
      english, so are the interlinears, except one site that has french in a small
      part of a list of glosses, but has no examples. I think that it might look a
      bit like this though.

      my cat ran up the tree
      mon chat courrir:PST en.haut le arbre

      I'm not sure on what to do about the gender in the interlinears, since it's
      not there in the english.

      On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Sai Emrys <saizai@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Paul Kershaw <ptkershaw@...> wrote:
      > > Schaden.freude ist die schön.ste Freude.
      > > Misery.pleasure be-3PP-SG the-FEM beautiful.most pleasure.
      > > The greatest joy is the misery of others.
      >
      > I think you've misunderstood my intent, or at least, this only
      > addresses half my question. This is still a linguist using English as
      > the metalanguage. I wasn't asking about how to make interlinears in
      > the general sense.
      >
      > To be clearer: if you're (say) a Japanese linguist glossing that
      > sentence for the consumption of other Japanese linguists, which parts
      > of that second line would be Japanese words, which German, and which
      > English-derived formalisms (like FEM and SG, possibly even 'the' since
      > Japanese doesn't really have it [the closest I can think of is 'that'
      > and 'this'])?
      >
      > Or is English the official metalanguage of all linguists worldwide?
      > (Somehow I doubt it.)
      >
      > - Sai

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic