160459Re: How do non-English speaking linguists do interlinears?

  • Paul Kershaw
    May 1, 2009
      > From: caeruleancentaur <caeruleancentaur@...>
      > --- In conlang@yahoogroups.com, David Peterson wrote:
      > > On May 1, 2009, at 4â—Š55 AM, Mark J. Reed wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I would probably leave aoi unglossed and provide the definition
      > > > below.
      > >
      > > That's precisely what's done with names.  After all, how do you
      > > provide the English definition or version of a foreign name?
      > > (Sometimes names are marked as "Name", though.)
      >
      > Which has reminded me of the Lady Aoi, Prince Genji's wife, in Lady Murasaki's
      > great novel "The Tale of Genji," "Genji Monogatari."

      The flipside is illustrated in some panels of "Backstroke of the West" (http://winterson.com/2005/06/episode-iii-backstroke-of-west.html), where attempts to translate names from Chinese (back) into English yield comical results such as Anakin Skywalker's anxieties about the Presbyterian Church. Which is why names are best left untranslated. :)

      -- Paul
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic