157551Re: Semantic Content of Grammatical Gender?

  • caeruleancentaur
    Feb 1, 2009
      > Benct Philip Jonsson <bpj@...> wrote:

      > BTW does _male nurse_ sound right to you English native
      > speakers? To me it's up there with _Ms. Chairman_,
      > but it may be that my feelings for the Swedish term.

      Back in the 60s I was a nurse. That was before I went into the
      seminary. It was the usual term then. I don't believe it is
      politically correct anymore, unless a distinction must be made.

      It's rather redundant to say, "He's a male nurse."

      However, way back then the U.S. Navy was not giving commissions to male
      nurses, only the to women. I had to join the army. In that case one
      would have to specify "male" nurse.

      Charlie
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic